Author Topic: Walter Rees  (Read 2007 times)

Offline Brian75

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Walter Rees
« on: Wednesday 10 July 19 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Walter Rees Dob 1883 Sydney Australia a Fisherman he Married Lillian Jackson dob 1884 Hull East Yorkshire on the 3rd September 1904 at St Barnabas Church Hull.
On the marriage Certificate Says his Father was Edward .Rees a Farmer.
Don't know when he came to England.
Would be glad of any help with this.
Regards Brian
Ralph, Milne, Stockton, Atkinson, Kendall, Wise, Davey,

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Rees
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 July 19 18:41 BST (UK) »
If you are researching his parentage & he was born in Australia it would be best if your post was on the Australia board.

Have asked the moderator to move it for you
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 July 19 02:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian
Please give all details on the marriage certificate.
Include witnesses.
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 July 19 02:35 BST (UK) »
I have spotted an Edward REES listed in the 1895 Sydney Sands Directory, Graham Street, Auburn.

https://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/search-our-collections/sands-directory

(It is also possible that Graham Street was on the border of two suburbs ... Rookwood and Auburn, and likely the residents would have preferred to use 'Auburn' in that era, as Rookwood was also where a) the cemetery was/is and also b) where the Asylum was.)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 July 19 03:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Walter Rees Dob 1883 Sydney Australia a Fisherman he Married Lillian Jackson dob 1884 Hull East Yorkshire on the 3rd September 1904 at St Barnabas Church Hull.
On the marriage Certificate Says his Father was Edward .Rees a Farmer.
Would be glad of any help with this.
Regards Brian

It is unlikely that you will find outward passenger lists if he departed for England from any port in New South Wales.   Perhaps you should search the UK 'inward passenger lists.

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/archives-in-brief/archives-in-brief-45  "outward passenger lists were not regularly maintained until 1898."   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 July 19 04:05 BST (UK) »
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X7TS-CW4   Ship's Rigger, 'Resident Sydney NSW' but does that actually mean he was BORN Sydney NSW?  Add ... well, umm,  it is in the column headed 'Birthplace'. 

JM

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 July 19 05:32 BST (UK) »

I have spotted an Edward REES listed in the 1895 Sydney Sands Directory, Graham Street, Auburn.

https://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/search-our-collections/sands-directory

(It is also possible that Graham Street was on the border of two suburbs ... Rookwood and Auburn, and likely the residents would have preferred to use 'Auburn' in that era, as Rookwood was also where a) the cemetery was/is and also b) where the Asylum was.)

JM

JM
Would you think the district you describe here would be suited to farming in those times?

Though I suppose Edward may have had another occupation at the time of the directory and then become a farmer by the time of Walter's marriage.

If it is the right man...... ???

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 July 19 05:35 BST (UK) »
Yes,  Auburn was still a dairy district in the 1930s ...  so it is possible ... but I have NOT yet found Edward REES on any NSW electoral roll, so I am still searching ... 

no Walter REES birth on NSW BDM either...  and that is a bigger concern !

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 July 19 05:48 BST (UK) »
Sands Sydney 1890 TRADE Directory includes the heading 'Farmers' ...
NONE with surname Rees
but plenty of farmers actually listed ... including Clapham Road, Auburn; Chisholm Road Auburn;  and Dairies ... well there were listings under that  'Dairykeeper' heading for errr ... Sydney CBD ...  I do have oral history of one of my Grandfathers leading bullocks down George Street Sydney in the 1920s to Circular Quay to be sent by sea to family in Port Macquarie ... George St is the main thoroughfare in Sydney CBD. - sorry for sidetrack.

JM