Author Topic: Tink Family of East Stonehouse/Stoke Damerel. Late 18th/early 19th C.  (Read 2112 times)

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tink Family of East Stonehouse/Stoke Damerel. Late 18th/early 19th C.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 July 19 23:22 BST (UK) »
Finally have found the interesting part of the will where it states '...unto my sister Mary Ann Kitto now residing in London the wife of William Kitto..' It also mentions £20 a year going to his nephew, son of his said sister, William Kitto (who I would be descended from).

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 11 July 19 00:27 BST (UK) »
Curious as to your opinion. Have found the burial record for Charles Tink on 11th March 1834, his age is given as 70 which puts his estimated year of birth as 1764. I can't find a Charles Tink (Or with varying spellings of Tink) born in Devon. But I can find a Charles Tink born to William & Ann Tink in Lanteglos by Camelford in Cornwall. However this is roughly 40 miles away from Stoke Damerel in Devon. He was baptised 12th June 1763.

For Mary, only one result came up matching the parents, William & Ann. That is - Mary Ann Tink, baptised 14th February 1779 in Saltash, Cornwall. Saltash is only 6-8 miles away from Stoke Damerel. So perhaps William & Ann Tink were moving towards Stoke Damerel/Devonport.

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 11 July 19 09:42 BST (UK) »
Hi there, they sound like plausible matches. There was a fair degree of movement between Cornwall and Devon back in the day. Starting off at Camelford, moving to Saltash, then crossing to the three towns is quite feasible. Can you find out more about William and Ann - what was his occupation to be moving around? Charles senior (esquire) was very wealthy, and Charles 'the younger' was a solicitor, also with wealth (judging by his own Will). It sounds as if they came from money or acquired it through education/trade, etc.

There's a William Tink recorded in Land Tax Redemptions for 1799 in Saltash - he's occupant of land owned by the wealthy Buller family. There's the same for 1798 and 1799 in Treneglos (near Camelford).

ADDED Marriage of William Tink to Ann Saunders 3 Feb 1763 Lanteglos. Bride already pregnant?