Author Topic: Lochgilpead Beginnings (Possibly)  (Read 1185 times)

Offline Horsley2016

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lochgilpead Beginnings (Possibly)
« on: Wednesday 10 July 19 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I'm trying to understand more about my 4th Gt Grandfather who was, Henry Duncan McDonald. I believe he was born around 1823 in Lochgilpead. Served in Royal Scots Fusilier Guards. His Father was a Malcolm McDonald who was an Officer in the Army, according to what he wrote on his sons marriage cert.

I'd love to find out more about Henry's beginnings and his parents - especially who his Mother was. I know he had an 'interesting' life including a spell in a London prison after he had left the Guards and was a 'Ships Carpenter' for the remainder of his life, settling and marrying in Liverpool.

Military records are absolutely not my forte and even Ancestry's not helping me much!

If anyone could shed some light or point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.
Thanks
M

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lochgilpead Beginnings (Possibly)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 July 19 23:16 BST (UK) »
There is a Henry McDonald, apprentice ship carpenter, born outwith the county, living at Clyde Crescent, Greenock, in 1841. His age is given as "20". Is this him?

Offline Horsley2016

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 July 19 10:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I did come across this one vaguely. The Henry Duncan McDonald I have is in 'Middlesex, London' in 1841. He tended to use his full title - HDM on records. I suppose maybe his Father Malcolm may be easier to start to detail first? But with both records I think I'm missing an obvious point to search the military records but I wouldn't know where to start really in order to get the detail from them!

Thank you so much for replying!  :)
M

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 July 19 13:28 BST (UK) »
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"