Author Topic: Baptism of Esther Smyth  (Read 1295 times)

Offline Canadian Goose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Baptism of Esther Smyth
« on: Wednesday 10 July 19 21:00 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Think I may have taken a brick out of my wall, but could use some help.  Reviewing microfilms found a baptism for Esther Smyth, who I believe may be in my tree.  Actually looking for older (possible sister) Mary Ann.  Found an entry for the baptism of Esther in 14 Apr 1852, Baptism place - Blessington, Wicklow and Kildare, Ireland.  The residence place was Blessington and parish variants was Blessington Church of Kilbride, Eadestown, Kilbride Church, Blessington, Diocese Dublin.

Google has not been helpful.  Is this in Wicklow or Kildare?  Eadestown is Kildare and Blessington is Wicklow?  Where do I continue searching?

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Judy

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism of Esther Smyth
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 July 19 21:04 BST (UK) »
What is the source ? Which denomination?
Cowban

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 July 19 21:06 BST (UK) »
This Parish?  https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0467

If you Zoom in on map one can see that the Parish is in 2 counties, as is Ballymore Eustace below it on map
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Canadian Goose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 July 19 21:46 BST (UK) »
Maiden Stone they were Catholic. Long story short, family first found in Lancashire census. Traced all children through census until I hit on Blessingtown instead of just Ireland. Ancestry kindly added County Mayo and had me on a wild goose chase.

Offline Canadian Goose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 July 19 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hallmark that is where I was reviewing anyplace with Blessing in it and stumbled on Blessington. Back to Ancestry where I found the baptism for Esther. The baptism date, parents all match with census entries. Esther and siblings appear on the baptisms of the children of the woman I am trying to find. Unfortunately she was born prior to 1852 but hoping I am in the ballpark now.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 July 19 13:20 BST (UK) »
Blessington is the name of a townland, town and civil parish in Lower Talbotstown Barony, Naas Poor Law Union, County Wicklow. There are also 3 townlands called Blessington in County Kilkenny.
Blessingtown is a townland in Kilmaine Barony, Ballinrobe Poor Law Union, County Mayo.
Did they name a county on a census or just Blessington or Blessingtown?
Cowban

Offline Canadian Goose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 July 19 14:46 BST (UK) »
Maiden Stone, the original 1911 census entry in Cheshire was written Ireland, Blessingtown.  Ancestry transcription shows Blessingtontown, Ireland.  Family Search transcribed it as Ireland, Blessington, County Mayo.  Griffith's Valuations and parish register checks available have nothing other than this entry.