Author Topic: Hawkhead Asylum, Paisley, Govan - Burial Records  (Read 523 times)

Offline Tara Claire

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hawkhead Asylum, Paisley, Govan - Burial Records
« on: Thursday 11 July 19 00:21 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the burial record for my great uncle Edward Sweeney who died in Hawkhead at the age of 28 yrs old on the 2.01.1920. There is no record of him being buried in his home town of Coatbridge or back home in County Mayo, Ireland. The archivist at the Mitchell Library, Glasgow can't find a record of his burial in Glasgow either. I am wondering if patients were ever buried in common graves within the grounds of the hospital without records being kept if they were or thought to be a pauper, with out family to claim them? His grand daughter and I would like to visit his grave but we cant find it. Any ideas that people may have would be a great help, thanks

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hawkhead Asylum, Paisley, Govan - Burial Records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 July 19 06:46 BST (UK) »

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 July 19 06:53 BST (UK) »
Claire, failte to Rootschat  ;D  in the case of Forresthall, Springburn (formerly the Barony Poorhouse)their dead went to Riddrie or Sighthill cemeteries. Try the cemeteries nearest Hawkhead.

Skoosh.

Offline Tara Claire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 July 19 09:54 BST (UK) »
thank you for the two responses; I have tried the cemeteries close to Hawkhead Asylum to no avail and the ones close to where he stayed in Coatbridge and again drew a blank. In fact the Mitchell library archivist has checked all the cemeteries in Glasgow and come up with nothing. What I am wondering is were unclaimed bodies buried on the premises?  In other hospitals such as Bangour Village Hospital unclaimed bodies were buried in local cemetries in unmarked graves but there was still a record of the burial kept so why none for Edward?

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 July 19 10:11 BST (UK) »
Is this him?

Edward Sweeney, clerk, Robertson Street, Glasgow, Lanarkshire   17   Glasgow   Accused   1855.

The age seems right for a man aged 28 to die in 1920

Gives his birthplace as Glasgow though, which could be wrong in this record

https://www.scottishindexes.com/default.aspx

Doesn't help with the burial place, I'm sorry.

Govan Asylum, what has been indexed (there is possibly more with this website?)
https://www.scottishindexes.com/institutions/93.aspx

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 July 19 10:17 BST (UK) »
"Records kept by the institution are now held by the NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archives"

Maybe another place to contact?
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Tara Claire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 July 19 10:28 BST (UK) »
"Records kept by the institution are now held by the NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archives"

Maybe another place to contact? - I did and I have received his medical records, which make very sad reading and while it records his date of death it doesnt mention where he is buried. The death was registered by his estranged wife and I got a copy of the death cert on Scotlands People but there is no burial record. Do you have any idea why that would be?

Yikes a possible house breaker? Only thing of course is that Edward was born in County Mayo, he picked tatties as a youngster in Scotland and as a young man worked as a miner in the North of England before returning to Scotland and working as a miner in Coatbridge. Those are interesting records, i see there is a murderer with the same name but no age or birth place, 45 to get the records though. Thank you for taking the time to answer me

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 July 19 08:49 BST (UK) »
Can I confirm that you have checked whether he is buried at Hawkhead Cemetery on Hawkhead Road in Paisley? I understand that the Asylum was part of what became Leverndale Hospital/Hawkhead Hospital/Ross Hall Hospital in the Crookston area of Glasgow/Hawkhead area of Paisley. The way that the estate ran, it ran towards Paisley.

Was he RC? If so, I would have checked Hawkhead (Renfrewshire Council) and also, just in case, St Peter's Dalbeth (although their records should be on Scotland's People website)
Tannahill:  Ayrshire, Renfrewshire
Mulgrew/Milgrew:  Glasgow
Canning: Renfrewshire

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 July 19 08:56 BST (UK) »
Sorry just checked SP and I don't see him at St Peter's :(
Tannahill:  Ayrshire, Renfrewshire
Mulgrew/Milgrew:  Glasgow
Canning: Renfrewshire