Author Topic: Chain Migration of Mackey and related families from County Clare  (Read 2240 times)

Offline RalphMackey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Interested in helping people with Irish Research
    • View Profile
Chain Migration of Mackey and related families from County Clare
« on: Thursday 11 July 19 09:40 BST (UK) »
5 Mackey individuals migrated from the Burren in County Clare to Tasmania in the mid 19th Century. The attached jpg shows examples of their inter-relationships in Tasmania. The two girls, Mary O'Brien (nee Mackey) and Bridget Wilson (nee Mackey) married into Irish families I believe who came from Clare as well, i.e. to Patrick O'Brien and to William Wilson. The men, James Mackey, Michael Mackey & Thomas Mackey married girls that come from Clare family names as well, i.e. Mary Callaghan (from Carran Parish, Clare), Ellen Stanford (from Ballinasloe, Galway), Bridget Mary Fitzpatrick (Probably Carran Parish, Clare) respectively.
As this is a case of chain migration I am looking at connecting up with any of the related families on any information on where they were located in County Clare.
Other then references to coming from Ireland and also County Clare - we also have reference to Carran Parish as well as to Corofin (the closest 'big town').

All the details are recorded on FamilySearch under this ID:

https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/G9HL-6B4

Also besides what is published on FamilySearch I have a copy of the descendants of the 5 Mackeys put together by another researcher.

To help with searches here are the 'Mackey' surname variations on the different sites:
Mackey
M'Kay
Mac Quay
MacAodha
Macky
Maky
McCee
McQuay
McQue
O Macdha
McCay
McGuy
Macken

Thanks
Ralph

Mackey in Clare; Delaney, Fahey, Stanford & Hardiman in Galway; Owen in Down; Minahan in Kerry; Hourigan, Kennedy in Limerick.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Chain Migration of Mackey and related families from County Clare
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 July 19 15:05 BST (UK) »
This search on https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp  should find any registered B.D.M. for them 1864+

Tick Deaths or whatever and use Year Ranges as needed
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline obfoley

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 July 19 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Ralph, Mary Mackey is my 2cnd great grandmother, Patrick O'Brien is my paternal 2cnd great grandfather. I grew up in Tasmania and now live in Melbourne. Are you on ancestry? I will give you access to my tree.  I have a marriage record for P&M in New Quay and transport records. However, these may be incorrect as I was told at the Clare Heritage & Genealogy Centre that the bride was always married in her home town.   I'm very keen to find Patrick's parents names as I currently have nothing  I have other Mackey bits and pieces that I may be able to send you.
Regards
Justin

Offline RalphMackey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Interested in helping people with Irish Research
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 July 19 11:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Justin,
Sounds like you have a lot of material I don't have about Pat O'Brien and Mary Mackey. I always knew that couple were the key as Patrick sponsored my GG-Father when he came out as per the shipping record. Now in terms of material I have an older version of the tree on Ancestry.com without a lot on it compared to the material I have:

https://www.ancestry.com.au/family-tree/tree/23685251/family

Currently I have built out my tree in FamilySearch.  There are also a lot of Mackey family photos there. If you go to Cyril Stanley Joseph Mackey ( I have I currently have built out my tree in FamilySearch) you will pick up my tree.

https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/K8JW-PZH

Most of my material is linked on there now. If you message me on there I will arrange to send you my email & also happy to chat on the phone. I have several extensive documents (done by another researcher) on the descendants of the original Mackeys that is not even on FamilySearch because a lot of the people are still alive. This goes all the way forward to about 10 years ago so its really good. Going back in Ireland - I have quite a lot of experience with researching Irish Ancestry so once we share notes I am sure we will find something. Although our Mackeys left just before civil registration and when most catholic registers were kept. We do have the irish records of James Mackey and his wife though as well as your's i appears.
Mackey in Clare; Delaney, Fahey, Stanford & Hardiman in Galway; Owen in Down; Minahan in Kerry; Hourigan, Kennedy in Limerick.