Author Topic: Stuck with a Mary Ann! London/Liverpool  (Read 2090 times)

Offline Horsley2016

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stuck with a Mary Ann! London/Liverpool
« on: Thursday 11 July 19 12:59 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone.

I'm having one of those brick wall moments  ??? with my 3rd Great Grandmother's history, and I've hit upon the same wall now for about 6 months, having got no further forward! So, I'm wishing and hoping somebody far more experienced/ detailed / knowledgable  than I, may be able to help me shed light.

Her name is Mary Ann McDonald

She was born, according to records, in 'Pimlico, Middlesex' around 1851.

Her Mother was Margaret, herself born around 1821 in Ireland and a Dressmaker. She was a Carragher (you can imagine the variations with this name!) She married a Robinson, briefly in 1845.

Her Father was Henry Duncan McDonald, born in Scotland around 1823.[/li][/list]

I *think* I can locate Margaret and Mary on the 1851 Census living in Avery Farm Row, St Georges, Hanover Square. The place of birth, dates and occupation match but also she is listed as married but Father is not present, which ties in too with my belief, that he was in Cold Bath Fields, Clerkenwell, Middlesex as a Prisoner (Ships Carpenter.)

Margaret was a young widow (married a Robinson)  when she married Henry, in Liverpool in June 1849. Mary Ann was their first child. By 1852 their next child was born back up in Liverpool and the family remain here.

I know a fair bit about Mary Ann's life - she married 3 times, lived briefly in New York, died 1st May 1904.... but her birth details are frustrating me! Especially as I can detail her siblings lives really well! All the subsequent Censuses lists Mary Ann as born in Middlesex, London or Pimlico consistently. I wonder if there's any chance she may have been born there but registered in Liverpool, given her Father being seemingly in Prison etc...

Thank you for even reading all of this mass of info. If anyone could shed any light I'd really appreciate it. Although I understand the Liverpool geography really well, London evades me.

Thanks, M

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck with a Mary Ann! London/Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 July 19 17:31 BST (UK) »
ignore my reply I was confused
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 July 19 17:38 BST (UK) »
is her sister Seraphina mother Carrier,Liverpool 1853
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Horsley2016

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 July 19 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Radcliff.

Yes, this is her. She also had sisters; Sarah McDonald born 1852 - MMN Craddock, Martha Jane born 1857 MMN Caraher and Margaret Winifred MMN Carrier!  Despite the spellings they have been proved the same family!  ::)

M

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 July 19 06:48 BST (UK) »
I have found the family in Everton ,Liverpool in 1871 without Mary Ann
did you notice Henry is a "Ships Carpenter" ?   a Shipwright being in Liverpool would be obvious - but Pimlico ?  why would a ships carpenter live in Pimlico - no ships there - so I have to ask - where did you get Pimlico from please ?? :) do you think Margaret and Mary Ann moved there to be near his prison ? 
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 July 19 06:56 BST (UK) »

Birth Registration
Mary Ann Mcdonald
Oct-Nov-Dec
Liverpool
Lancashire
Volume 20
Page 268
Affiliate Line Number 83
ADDED another Mary Ann Mcdonald born July august sept 1850 in Liverpool - the next one in Liverpool is 1858...so 2 possibles .
Volume 20
page 323
Affiliate 33
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 July 19 07:51 BST (UK) »
Mary Ann Mcdonald
Oct-Nov-Dec 1849
Liverpool
Volume 20  Page 268
ADDED another Mary Ann Mcdonald born July august sept 1850 in Liverpool - the next one in Liverpool is 1858...so 2 possibles .
Volume 20  page 323

Not those two evidently :(

1849 - mother's maiden name LAWLER
1850 -   "     "      "     "     "    O'DONNEL

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Horsley2016

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 July 19 09:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you all.

Garstonite - thanks. In 1871 she is in New York with her first husband Edward Rogers we think. She definitely has 2 daughters in NY - Myra and Alice, and has a son Henry Patrick Rogers who we think was born in Lpool Jul 1869 (but on the Dec 1870 USA Census, he appears to be listed as born NY.) Edward dies of Yellow fever in 1876 but the family seem to be back in the UK then anyway.

the Pimlico link comes from the 1851 Belgrave district Census in London.

My gut feeling is a 'snapshot' of info I have is wrong somewhere. My frustration is that because of the MMN Carragher and such huge variations of spellings with that and McDonald, I can't locate anything like a 'Carragher' through GRO anywhere in the country over about a 5 year span! I think the nearest I could get was a Cradock in 1850 Liverpoo for a Mary McDonald. Which I suppose is a distinct possibility...

Thank you so much.
M

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 July 19 09:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you all.

Garstonite - thanks. In 1871 she is in New York with her first husband Edward Rogers we think. She definitely has 2 daughters in NY - Myra and Alice, and has a son Henry Patrick Rogers who we think was born in Lpool Jul 1869 (but on the Dec 1870 USA Census, he appears to be listed as born NY.)
M

Henry Patrick Rogers birth Liverpool September quarter 1869

Baptism
22nd August 1869
Parents Edward and Mary Ann (MacDonald)
Godparents. Michael Smith and Sarah MacDonald
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk