Author Topic: Stuck with a Mary Ann! London/Liverpool  (Read 2081 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck with a Mary Ann! London/Liverpool
« Reply #9 on: Friday 12 July 19 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Radcliff.

Yes, this is her. She also had sisters; Sarah McDonald born 1852 - MMN Craddock, Martha Jane born 1857 MMN Caraher and Margaret Winifred MMN Carrier!  Despite the spellings they have been proved the same family!  ::)

M

I think there is also Catherine Flora b March 7th 1855 and baptised March 25th St Albans. No mother’s maiden name on baptism but GRO has a likely birth with mmn Caton  :-\
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 12 July 19 10:24 BST (UK) »
Also this one

Baptism St Albans
November 9th 1851 - born October 1st
Henry Duncan McDonald  - Father Henry Duncan and Margaret

I haven’t found a birth yet.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 12 July 19 10:28 BST (UK) »
Baptism, 10 Feb 1850, at St Mary & St Michael, Commercial Road, Stepney
M'Donald, Maria Anna
daughter of Henrici Duncan + Margarite M'Donald
born 2 Feb 1850

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 July 19 10:30 BST (UK) »
Oh you are good, Jon.  :)

That’s super. I was going to suggest looking for a Catholic baptism after the Liverpool ones but I don’t know where they are available.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 July 19 10:34 BST (UK) »
but I don’t know where they are available.
England Roman Catholic Parish Baptisms. On a different website. Luckily I am at the library!

A death for the Henry you found?

Name: MCDONALD, HENRY  DUNCAN     
Age at Death (in years): 4 
GRO Reference: 1855  S Quarter in LIVERPOOL  Volume 08B  Page 79

Actually it turns out that the Liverpool ones are on both main websites!

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 12 July 19 10:37 BST (UK) »
Yes, I know what you mean  :)

Can’t see a birth for Mary Ann either  :-\

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 12 July 19 10:54 BST (UK) »
No, I can't see a birth registration for Mary either.
Re the Henry in prison in 1851, there is a report in the newspapers in February 1851 about a Henry Duncan McDonald. Convicted at Westminster Police Court of assault. It says convicted in the full penalty of 5l., (£5), and in default committed to prison for two months.

Not a particularly nice story, but the curious thing is that he was a policeman, 59 (I guess his number) B Division.

Offline Horsley2016

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 12 July 19 12:10 BST (UK) »
Wow!

I am so very grateful to those taking the time to help me. So. From the info provided I have been able to establish that HDM born 1851 and Catherine Flora, are of the same family, are the right parents and interestingly, are both baptised at St Albans RC (along with 2 other siblings) yet are buried at St Anthonys RC. I have yet to confirm the birth records on GRO but did find a new spelling of McDonald on HDM's baptism - McDonold!! On both burial records the address is... Queen Street - the same Queen Street that is on HDM & Margaret's marriage cert in June 1849... Which is good. But...obviously throws up further questions!

So the timeline I sort of have now is:
HDM and Margaret marry 3 June 1849 at St Nicholas Church, Liverpool - which is a CoE!!  ??? HDM a 'Shipwright' Both families in Queen St, Liverpool. (Parents home?)

Mary Ann is born 2 Feb 1850 and baptised RC in Stepney. (Where did you find those records from? Thank you SO much!)

30 March 1851. The Census shows Margaret and Mary Ann at 5 House 7 Court, Avery Farm Row, St George Hanover Square, Middlesex, England. Margaret a Dressmaker from Ireland. Is married, but no husband present. Mary Ann listed as having been born 'Pimlico, London.'

The 1851 Census also throws up a Henry McDonald, a Ships Carpenter born Lochgilpead, Scotland who is a Prisoner at  House of Correction, Cold Bath Fields, Clerkenwell, Middlesex, England.

Yet we know, on 1st Oct 1851, their son HDM is born in Liverpool and baptised RC.

** I'm tempted to think maybe the whole London thing is a red herring with Mary Ann. However, the new found baptism records for her and the fact that I can find her with her family up in Liverpool and over the decades Census consistently states either Middlesex/London as her place of birth, makes me believe she was born there and HDM and Margaret did spend time there. The 1851 Census for both of them, ties in too. **  ???

But why would they marry as CoE?!

Thank you everyone. It also helps to go over details when typing them!
M

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 12 July 19 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hi
Mary Ann's baptism can be found on findmypast.
It's interesting that it was in Stepney. If she was born in Pimlico, then there were other places much nearer where she could have been baptized.

On both burial records the address is... Queen Street - the same Queen Street that is on HDM & Margaret's marriage cert in June 1849... Which is good. But...obviously throws up further questions!

Is it possible that, soon after the marriage, Henry and Margaret came down to east London, which would make more sense for a ship's carpenter than Pimlico. And that at some point afterwards he had a brief career change to be a policeman? Perhaps he didn't find work as easy to get as he hoped.
B Division apparently covered Chelsea. So they move across London.
Then, as soon as the unhappy affair in 1851 was over - including Henry's career in the police - they all went straight back up to Liverpool?
We'd have to take Henry junior's date of birth into account here, which was given as 1 October 1851.
Anyway, it's something to mull over! It's sending my head spinning!

Are we sure that Margaret Winifred, who we see in 1861, is the same daughter in 1871? :-\
There's a baptism at St Patrick Liverpool, 26 October 1862, of another Margaret, parents Henry and Margaret. Born 8 October.
John