Author Topic: Can anyone find this mother and daughter Mary and Anne Lane ?  (Read 1493 times)

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone find this mother and daughter?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 11 July 19 21:00 BST (UK) »
In 1851 Mary was in Bermondsey, aged 30 and working as a charwoman, on Grange road, with son John, aged 11. Any help?

All help is always appreciated. I do wonder where the daughter Anne is though?

I looked on the GRO indexes as they give the mothers surname and there is no John Lane born in the Southwark/Bermondsey ifrom 1838 to 1842 area with MMN as Davis.

This, I find is where the census is so much more helpful as a first resort than births and marriages. They at least give an indication of people's movements over 10 year periods

Charwoman, then launderess, for a widow with children certainly sounds like it's the same woman on the 1851/1871 census'
Davis - Berkshire & London
Sutcliffe - Yorkshire & London
Harrington - Ireland and London
Fuller - Cambridgeshire and Essex
Waldron/Waldren - Devon & London
Frisby and Lee - Leicestershire
Hollingsworth - Essex
Williams - Ireland? and London
Ellis, Reed & Temple - London
Lane - ?
Surplice/Surplus - Cambridgeshire
Elwood - Cambridgeshire

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone find this mother and daughter Mary and Anne Lane ?
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 11 July 19 21:09 BST (UK) »
In 1851 Mary was in Bermondsey, aged 30 and working as a charwoman, on Grange road, with son John, aged 11
This John has MMN of Hockley ... which means that either he or
Anne's birth could be: Camberwell Vol 4 Page 80, Q1 1845 which gives a MMN of Davis.
Anne are the wrong one - unless the MMN is wrong!

Also, where was Anne in 1851 - she'd have been 5?

Liz

ADDED - sorry posts crossed
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 11 July 19 21:20 BST (UK) »
I have found a family in 1851 of Lanes ...

HO107/1584 in Deptford, Ann (born Bermondsey 1842) is listed as a neice of John and Mary Lane who are both from Ireland and born 1821 - maybe her?

Liz
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 11 July 19 21:30 BST (UK) »
Probably the same Ann Lane is a servant at the Queens Head, Great Tower St, parish of St Dunstans in the East

Again b c1842 in Bermondsey

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 11 July 19 21:34 BST (UK) »
HO107/1584 in Deptford, Ann (born Bermondsey 1842) is listed as a neice of John and Mary Lane who are both from Ireland and born 1821 - maybe her?
This Mary's maiden name is Roach - both their children, Margaret and John, appear in GRO as expected.

Yes, Mabel - looks likely  ;D

Liz
Research interests:

Online ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 12 July 19 16:36 BST (UK) »
I'd also found the Ann Lane as a servant at the Queen's Head, but that seemed but one of several possibilities in that census.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 14 July 19 19:12 BST (UK) »
Huge thankyou to everyone who helped find these ladies. I'd just like to explain my interest in them.

I'm working on a possible connection to my gt grandmother Mary Ann Lane. Born in the Union workhouse at St John Horsleydown to a Hannah Lane in 1871, she was illegitimate and the Metropolitan Archives have no extant records covering this year for this workhouse. She spent all her life in the Southwark area. She is missing on the 1881 census and is married by the 1891 census. I can find no convincing baptismal record for her.

Hannah, her mother, is a mystery. I have no way of identifying her so I'm having to take a lot of speculative long-shots starting with women who would be of child-bearing age in 1871 who were living reasonably close to Mary-Anne's place of birth and trying to work backwards and forwards from that year to see if I can identify a possible candidate. if I do find a possible I look on my DNA matches for any males living in the Southwark region in the correct year. Then I check whether any of my other matches share that same surname. It's been suggested that Hannah might be of Irish decent. I do know from my Irish ancestors that first names tended to be interchangeable - Hannah/Anne/Anna., even Johanna.

I have one tentative connection from one of my DNA matches. There tree and mine share no surnames but their family did come from Bermondsey and were licensed victuallers so women with the surname Lane working in a pub is of interest.
This may be of absolutely no consequence whatsover but I'm having to try some very unorthodox methods now as I've run out of other ideas. I thought DNA testing would help....so far, not really.

Again, thanks for all the replies. They've given me some areas to research.

Davis - Berkshire & London
Sutcliffe - Yorkshire & London
Harrington - Ireland and London
Fuller - Cambridgeshire and Essex
Waldron/Waldren - Devon & London
Frisby and Lee - Leicestershire
Hollingsworth - Essex
Williams - Ireland? and London
Ellis, Reed & Temple - London
Lane - ?
Surplice/Surplus - Cambridgeshire
Elwood - Cambridgeshire