Author Topic: John McQuillan Robertson  (Read 4468 times)

Offline SJamieson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John McQuillan Robertson
« on: Thursday 11 July 19 16:57 BST (UK) »
Bit of a family mystery and was looking for help. My Wife's Gt Grandfather's Marriage certificate gave the name of his parents as Thomas Robertson, and Elizabeth Hutch Ross and from that I was able to formulate a family tree for her.
However family rumour had it that he was adopted and on a second pass I looked to see whether this was the case. On this search I was unable to find an obvious birth record for him anywhere and the first record I do find for him is the 1911 census (extract attached below) but without the McQuillan middle name. As McQuillan isn't otherwise a family name. I suspect it could either be birth surname, or birth mother's maiden name so have looked for both options.

On the census, Thomas and Elizabeth's details all tally with their birth and marriage dates but they are recorded as having no children. John Appears as a visitor (aged 3) but his place of birth doesn't appear to make sense - as best we can make out it reads Strathaven, Perthshire but obviously Strathaven is Lanarkshire, and none of the Perthshire Straths appear obviously similar to the written name.

In Strathaven there are no John Robertson's born in the 1907-1908 window but there is a John McQuillian. In the whole of Perthsire the opposite is true no John McQuillan's but several John Robertson's - though none obviously fall into any of the Straths that do exist.

Of course it could be that both his names changed and a complete dead end has been reached, but a fresh pair of eyes looking over it would be appreciated.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: John McQuillan Robertson
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 July 19 17:50 BST (UK) »
Have you looked for any other McQuillan/Robertson close to where your 1911 is located?

My guess is he was illegitimate although brought up with his father's surname which was common but it's only a thought of course.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline SJamieson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 July 19 18:03 BST (UK) »
Should have added that Census is for Main Street, St Ninians. The family still stay in the Stirling area today, but Thomas, Elizabeth and their predecessors came from Lanarkshire.

There's no Robertsons or McQuillans born in Stirling itself that would be a good match, but they could have still been somewhere in Lanarkshire at that time.

Also the visitor designation seems to throw off illegitimacy as he'd still be the nephew of the respondent on the census rather than unconnected

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 July 19 18:08 BST (UK) »
    There is a John McQuillan born at Avondale in 1907.      I think Avondale takes in Strathaven.    Is this the birth for Strathaven you say you already saw?

Offline SJamieson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 July 19 18:12 BST (UK) »
Yes, Avondale is the one I have already seen. Haven't retrieved the record yet as I was waiting to see if someone could make a suggestion as to the illegible handwriting. (Plus Pay-day is at the weekend)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 July 19 18:25 BST (UK) »
Can you post a close-up of the 'Strathavin' part please?

I think it has to be an error although Robertson is a 'Perthshire' name

I think if he's recorded as a 'Visitor' rather than a relation of any sort then it suggests there's no obvious relationship at least to the head although possibly to the wife?

Have you found any connection in her line with either surname?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline SJamieson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 July 19 19:13 BST (UK) »
There's no obvious sign of the name in either Thomas's or Elizabeth's trees. Though Thomas Grandmother was McGuigan - so it could have been a typo of that.

I only know of Elizabeth's sister Catherine, she married a William Gayne. So it Doesn't look like the answer is there. Thomas and Alexander had a sister Agnes, but there's no sign of any Robertson McQuillan marriage at the time

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 July 19 19:26 BST (UK) »
Unless it's a poor Strathallan?

Annie

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 July 19 19:27 BST (UK) »
     There was a John McQuillan Robertson born in 1938 at Stirling.       Interesting - could it be his son from a marriage in Stirlingshire?       One never does know, does one? ;D