Author Topic: 3rd Royal Scots WW1  (Read 196 times)

Offline Tara Claire

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
3rd Royal Scots WW1
« on: Thursday 11 July 19 23:37 BST (UK) »
How do I go about finding my great uncles Edward Sweeney's war record? I know that his army number was 52162 of the 3rd Royal Scots. He was a W soldier which I think means in a reserved occupation as he was a coal miner however I am trying to find out if he ever served in the army. Thanks

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd Royal Scots WW1
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 July 19 00:31 BST (UK) »
Hi

Over 60% of WW1 service records were burnt during the WW2 blitz.  There is no Medal Roll Index entry for him under the number you gave

There are 3 MRI entries under different numbers for Edward Sweeney's in the Royal Scots Fusiliers and one in the Royal Scots Lothian Regiment
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Tara Claire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 July 19 00:36 BST (UK) »
thank you CaroleW, what does the fact that there is no medal roll index entry for his number mean?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 July 19 00:38 BST (UK) »
You may have the wrong regimental number.  What document did you get that number from?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 July 19 00:46 BST (UK) »
Just found an MRI entry for him.  Used the wild card search edw* swee* and found him spelt as Edw Sweeney  5216 2 (gap in figures)

It was the Royal  Scots Lothian Regiment and he was a Private

Enlisted 10.12.1915 discharged 24.2.1919 under KR 392 XV1  nothing shown re medals

http://www.military-researcher.co.uk/KingsRegs1912/Para392Introduction.html

Offline Tara Claire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 July 19 01:00 BST (UK) »
Carol that is great thanks so much. I got the army number from his hospital record at Merryflats, Glasgow which had been a poor house but was then turned into a hospital for soldiers. It says on his record that he was a catagory W soldier, I looked that up and it means that he had a reserved occupation as a coal miner. Do you think he would have actually served in the war as in fighting in France? What do the numbers KR 392 XV1 refer too?

Offline Tara Claire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 July 19 01:02 BST (UK) »
ah I see no longer fit for war service - does that mean he did serve then? Or does the absence of medals mean he didn't?

Online MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 July 19 09:24 BST (UK) »
No medals indicates no overseas service but so also does service with 3rd Battalion which was a training unit of the Special Reserve who were in UK throughout.  The Silver War Badge was awarded, if a man was discharged with illness or injury, for service whether overseas or not.

MaxD
Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Tara Claire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 July 19 09:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you MaxD - does that mean that Edward would have got a Silver War Badge rather than a medal? It says on his death cert that he had an army pension - is that normal if you have never fought over seas? He was ill when he was discharged and died a year later