Author Topic: WW2 service records  (Read 1001 times)

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
WW2 service records
« on: Thursday 11 July 19 23:46 BST (UK) »
I'm waiting for the death certificate of my father so that I can apply for his service records, but in the mean time is there information I can find before they arrive.

What I know.

From the "Royal Artillery Attestations 1883-1942" on Findmypast
Army no.1775371 Ernest Leslie Tuttle, final column "Transfer to other Corps etc" 28/6/1944 RASC.

I know from a photo that he was with the 304 Coast Batt. RA, Peterhead, Scotland in January 1942.

He also spent some time in Italy, possibly guarding a food store and he also mentioned mules.

Any help is appreciated, though I'll probably just have to wait for his records to arrive.

Bee
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 service records
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 July 19 05:28 BST (UK) »
I think it's the 100 year rule thing?
But anything for people serving after 1920 is still with the MOD, and not much is available anywhere else.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 July 19 09:48 BST (UK) »
KGarrad is absolutely right.  You do need to wait for his records which will give you the dates and the units he served in.  His attestation was in 1940 so there are a good number of years to cover.

304 Battery was part of 501 (Forth) Coast Regiment https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forth_Royal_Garrison_Artillery (scroll down to WW2) note that it came under 542 Regiment in April 1942.

There are war diaries (not digitised) for both regiments but without knowing his overall dates there, looking at the war diary would be a waste of money.

Food stores and mules looks very much his time in the RASC but that was an enormous organisation, all the more necessary to know his unit(s).

Anything general on the net about Coast Artillery (British - there is a lot about US Coastal) and the RASC in the war would be worth reading for background

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 July 19 16:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your replies, I'll have  read on the link provided them I'll just have to be patient and wait for the records to arrive.

Bee

Slight amendment, it should read 305 not 304 Coast Batt/
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 July 19 16:33 BST (UK) »
OK, not in 501 Coast regiment then but a brief mention of Peterhead towards the bottom of the Wiki piece.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 July 19 21:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you MaxD