Author Topic: Query regarding Form B.2 on census  (Read 1268 times)

Offline righthererightnow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Query regarding Form B.2 on census
« on: Friday 12 July 19 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

Form B.2. on the 1901 census is the "Return of Out-Offices and Farm-Steadings".

The list of buildings on each Form B.2. includes "barn", "shed" and "store".

Presumably there were specific definitions of the terms "barn", "shed" and "store" by 1901, so that the census enumerators knew what to record on each Form B.2.

Has anybody any idea as to where I should look in order to find those definitions?

I have an idea myself as to what might distinguish a barn from a shed and a shed from a store etc. but I'm hoping to find the exact definitions that the census enumerators had to follow in 1901.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Michael

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Query regarding Form B.2 on census
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 July 19 20:49 BST (UK) »

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 July 19 14:16 BST (UK) »
Dictionary definition of barn - covered building for storing grain, etc.
1901 Census: "The Enumerator will return on this Form all Out-offices intended for Domestic or Agricultural purposes …. "
There were 22 columns on Form B 2 on 1901 census They were headed "Stable; Coach House; Harness Room; Cow House; Calf House; Dairy; Piggery; Fowl House, Boiling House; Barn; Turf House; Potato House; Workshop; Shed; Store; Forge; Laundry; Other Out-offices (5 columns)"
All had specific purposes except "Shed" and "Store" and "Other Out-Offices". Uses of sheds and stores varies.
Dictionary definition of shed: "A roofed shelter for storing things or keeping cattle in or used as workshop, & ranging from a roof on uprights to a completely walled building." ["The Pocket Oxford Dictionary"]
Cowban

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 July 19 06:06 BST (UK) »
My guess is that you are overthinking this. I doubt one in a hundred enumerators gave a fig for "exact" definitions. They would have gone with their own understanding.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 July 19 14:15 BST (UK) »
I agree with Wexflyer.
Sheds and stores are non-specific structures. They have miscellaneous uses. If they had a particular use they would have been classed under that use.
The other farm buildings would have been built or fitted out for a purpose, e.g. low wall at front of piggery, a hay rack in a stable, perches in a fowl house.
A traditional barn is a large building with door wide and tall enough to admit a fully-laden hay-cart. There are also pole-barns which are open at 1 or more sides.
When the census enumerator visited a property, uses of most out-buildings would have been obvious and easily classifiable. Any that weren't would have gone in a "Shed", "Store" or "Other out-offices" column. Census enumerators were often local police constables so they may have been familiar with the properties.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 July 19 00:18 BST (UK) »
Slightly off-topic but may be of interest. Robert E. Matheson , Registrar General in 1901 wrote "Housing of the People of Ireland During the Period 1841-1901", published Dublin 1903. Available on The Internet Archive https://archive.org
Cowban

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 July 19 01:26 BST (UK) »
Census enumerators were often local police constables so they may have been familiar with the properties.

I agree with MS. But want to add that that the enumerators were *always* part of the local occupation forces, not "often". The RIC are believed to have frequently kept notes/files/registers on local people using info gleaned from the census forms. Was probably illegal, but they did it anyway. Such local files were all destroyed in 1922, upon disbandment.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 July 19 02:13 BST (UK) »
I've looked at Form B.2 for my families. Annoyingly in 1901 there is a missing page for one and another one, which should have been last on a page, has been missed. Form B.1 tells me that they had 6 and 2 outbuildings respectively.
Another family appears to have only a piggery in 1901 while their neighbour and relative had stable, cow-house, piggery and barn. The situation was reversed in 1911.
Nobody seemed to have a turf-house.
Cowban

Offline righthererightnow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 July 19 08:28 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for all the replies.
Apologies for not taking the time to thank each of you individually.
I'm glad I asked the question and glad of the informative responses.
I suppose it would have been nigh impossible for the census enumerators to make accurate returns where the users of the out-offices and farm-steadings were liable to use the structures as they pleased and to change their use from time to time.
Regards