Author Topic: Birth of Thomas Williams Newcastle-in-Emlyn 1833  (Read 981 times)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Birth of Thomas Williams Newcastle-in-Emlyn 1833
« on: Saturday 13 July 19 14:41 BST (UK) »
Is there a way of finding a birth/baptism in Newcastle-in-Emlyn 1833/4? I am looking for Thomas Williams, with father being John Williams. From census records, birth is estimated 1833 and his marriage certificate in 1855 says his age as full, so he was born in 1834, or earlier. Both census and marriage are from Laugharne Carmarthenshire and both say Newcastle-in-Emlyn (Cardigan), where his father John, a labourer was also living. At present, that is all I have to go on.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of Thomas Williams Newcastle-in-Emlyn 1833
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 July 19 15:08 BST (UK) »
Is this the 1851?  https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGZ7-99J
  (Thomas aged 18y birth place of Narbeth) ??

Mother's Maiden Surname appears to be MATHIAS 

Or is there another that you are looking at?

Where there are multiple possibilities , you really need to be exact with which particular records you are looking at .
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 July 19 17:18 BST (UK) »
A possibilty in 1841 is the Thomas Williams aged 7 with siblings at Troedyrawr, Cefenmawr, Newcastle in Emlyn parents John/Mary
Census ref HO107/1377/ 24/4 / 1
Keyboard86

EDIT Possibly not as baptism is for a Thomas Morgan Williams?
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 July 19 18:29 BST (UK) »
All I have is Newcastle-in-Emlyn (Cardigan) from the 1881 census and he is a Mariner. On the marriage certificate of 1855, his father’s name was John Williams of Newcastle-in-Emlyn. Both were Labourers. At that time, Thomas Williams was living in Laugharne, but I cannot find him on the 1851 or 1841 censuses.

The district of Newcastle-in-Emlyn created in 1837, I assume is what they were referring to, was split between Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire and Carmarthenshire. With the reference Cardigan, I assume it was an area belonging to Cardiganshire.

I know it is a long-shot with so little information and common names in West Wales, but it is the last piece in the jigsaw. From the marriage onwards, I have so much information. I cannot think of anything else where I could find more to aid the search.