Author Topic: Betsal, Bestall, Bestil, Bestel, Bestle in Avoca, Co Wicklow  (Read 3458 times)

Offline tmusabotf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Betsal, Bestall, Bestil, Bestel, Bestle in Avoca, Co Wicklow
« on: Monday 31 December 07 17:59 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out information on a William Bestal. other spellings are  Bestel, Bestle from Avoca in Ireland,  he married a Margaret Corcoran and they are my great grandparents. their children were called Margaret, Mary, Bridget, William, Edward, Frank and Jack (John).

They were born in Ireland and moved to a village near Glasgow, Scotland towards the end of 1800's i think

Any information would be very much appreciated as i have been getting nowhere for quite a while now

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 January 08 00:36 GMT (UK) »
I would gently adise you to start your own topic heading New topic created
Betsal, Bestall, Bestil, Bestel, Bestle in  Avoca, Co Wicklow  the first answer for you is on www.familysearch.com
William Law Bestall  Birth:  About 1796   Vale Of Avoca, , , Ireland the I would investigate the following then I would search for the other spelling
34. Maud Mary Bestall - International Genealogical Index
 35. William Law Allen Bestall - International Genealogical Index
 36. Norah Elizabeth <Bestale> - International Genealogical Index
 37. Richard Henry Bestall - International Genealogical Index
 38. Catherine Vivian Bestall - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Birth: 07 SEP 1878 Templelyon, Wicklow, Ireland
 39. Robert Fredrick Bestall - International Genealogical Index
 40. Hilda Bestall - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Birth: 07 DEC 1877 Bed Cross, , Wicklow, Ireland
  41. William Law Bestall - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Marriage: 24 APR 1822 Dunganstown, Wicklow, Ireland

then look up Griffiths Valuation of Ireland 1848-1865Surname First Name Townland Parish County
Following are the exact matches:
Bestal William L. Templelyon Upper Redcross Wicklow
Bestal Sarah Kilmurry South Redcross Wicklow
you will sooner or later need a townland map of the civil parishes that interest you in Wicklow
Good luck, Jim

Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline tmusabotf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Re: William Bestal
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 January 08 23:46 GMT (UK) »
forgot to say, does anyone have any information on a marriage between William Bestal, both died in Scotland and Margaret Corcoran of Avoca Wicklow, just wondering if they maybe got married in Dublin or Wicklow, don't know where to look, many thanks

Offline tmusabotf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Re: William Bestal
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 January 08 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Many Thanks for replying and happy new year, I already had a wee look at family search.com. I was really trying to find out who William's parents were. Our family spell he name as Bestel or Bestle, there are even two different spellings on my mother's wedding certificate. However I have only recently found out that the spelling is Bestal on my great grandfather's death certificate. I have now found out that William Bestal was baptised in 1862 in Wicklow and his parents were William Bestal and Anne Cullen, if anyone can help me I would very much appreciate it. There is obviously some link to the Bestall/Bestal family but I can't piece that link together.

Offline Shazza092324

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: William Bestal
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 April 19 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hi, hoping I’m using this correctly as I fairly new to tracing my family tree. I am the great gran daughter of Mary Bestall, grand daughter of William Bestall and Magaret Corcoran. I have managed to trace back to Anne Cullen and William Bestall also but not managed any further. There is many variants to the name bestall, bestel, bestle. My great grandmothers spelling is different on her birth certificate to her headstone. I’m not sure I can give you anymore information than what you have but I am happy to try.

Offline tmusabotf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 April 19 14:05 BST (UK) »
Anne Cullen and William Bestal (farmer) the parents of William Bestal born 1862 in Avoca Wicklow is as far back as I can get as well.

However I recently saw a marriage cert dated 1 Aug 1879 for Hannah Bestall daughter of William Bestall (farmer) She married Peter Ferres in the Rutland Presbyterian church in North Dublin.  The record states she was living in Derbyshire when she got married.  Hannah could be from a completely different family but perhaps she is Wm juniors sister. Perhaps the family came from Derbyshire and not Ireland or it could be that Hannah went to Derbyshire for work.  (Needs checked)

Also there is a *William Bestill b1832* and Robert Bestill b1833 from Kent (merchant seamen - military service (i’m presuming it could be the Crimean War they partook in). Both ended up living in Wicklow by the looks of it but probably married in England (needs checked out ). However again it could be a different family but due to lack of records anything is possible. *Perhaps this is the William who married Anne Cullen*

Maybe some more Irish records will appear at some point or they could have been lost in the fire at the Dublin records office. I believe a lot of Wicklow records were destroyed and now dependent on parish records for some of them.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Re: William Bestal
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 April 19 17:15 BST (UK) »
However I recently saw a marriage cert dated 1 Aug 1879 for Hannah Bestall daughter of William Bestall (farmer) She married Peter Ferres in the Rutland Presbyterian church in North Dublin.  The record states she was living in Derbyshire when she got married.  Hannah could be from a completely different family but perhaps she is Wm juniors sister. Perhaps the family came from Derbyshire and not Ireland or it could be that Hannah went to Derbyshire for work.  (Needs checked)
Easily checked on 1901 census- Hannah Ferres born England-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Queen_s_Co_/Shaen/Ballydavis/1648581
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline tmusabotf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Re: William Bestal
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 April 19 20:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hallmark, that’s the record I saw, if only the mothers names were on them then there would be no issue re proving they were brother and sister.