Author Topic: George Gordon  (Read 1594 times)

Offline dbrobertson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Gordon
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 July 19 01:59 BST (UK) »
That's them, DB! How could I have missed them? I'll have to check all this out in the morning, but I'm certain that this is new info. I've been looking at things Selina Knox Cuthbertson recently and noted an absence of data for the 1880s. My own ancestor, Catherine, age 24 was still at home in 1881? I'm curious about how I didn't have this info, because I've exchanged several GEDCOMs with other Knox researchers. Did we all fail to uncover it?

Puzzled.
Brian

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 July 19 02:05 BST (UK) »
Here they are in 1871.....

http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/1871/pdf/4396631_00268.pdf

You can search for earlier years here for free. Click on relevant census at the left. They are there.....

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/Pages/census.aspx

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 July 19 02:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The family sounds like they have been well researched, so no doubt the 1881 census was around
somewhere.

Catherine's brother Robert, was he born 1813ish?

Offline dbrobertson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 July 19 15:07 BST (UK) »
The dates I have for Robert Knox are 21 May 1813 to 12 Mar 1845, which precludes him being George's father (if my dates are correct).

A quick look over my data base shows I never incorporated information from the 1881 census - in fact I thought the info was missing. I originally did census research on the Knoxes pre-internet, when one perched for hours on a bar stool to read microfilm reels - roughly 1989 to 1996. Don't know if I ever looked for Knox data on the 1881 census after it went up on the net.

Ah, well, it's all to the good. Now I can pass the family tree on to younger folks knowing that I'm not passing on (all) my mistakes.

Brian