Author Topic: Albert and Frederick loveridge  (Read 1405 times)

Offline Kjoy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Albert and Frederick loveridge
« on: Sunday 14 July 19 21:49 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any information about these two boys who were my great great grandfather’s nephews. They were orphaned at ages 10 and 12 and then ended up in different orphanages miles from their birthplace, confused as I’m not sure why their extended family didn’t take them in and why they were separated...

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Albert and Frederick loveridge
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 July 19 22:10 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat

Where and when were they born
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kjoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 July 19 22:23 BST (UK) »
Albert was born 1879 in Axminster and Frederick was born @1881 in Axminster. Their parents were IsaacD Loveridge and Sarah Pomeroy. Both parents died within a year of each other. Albert was in Boys Orphan Asylum Cheltenham in 1891 census and Frederick was in Müllers orphanage Bristol. Their father’s brother James was my great great grandfather and he was living in Axminster at the time.

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 July 19 00:16 BST (UK) »
They didn't seem to try and keep families together then. My great-uncle was born in Yorkshire, lost his father when he was 5. His mother wasn't coping, and left him and his two sisters in an orphanage. By the 1911 Census, he was boarded out in Essex, and one of his sisters was in an orphanage in Alverstoke in Hampshire, while the other was in another orphanage in Sutton Coldfield. His mother was still in Yorkshire. Often wondered what his foster family in Essex made of his broad Yorkshire accent!
Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 July 19 03:18 BST (UK) »
Albert was born 1879 in Axminster and Frederick was born @1881 in Axminster. Their parents were IsaacD Loveridge and Sarah Pomeroy. Both parents died within a year of each other. Albert was in Boys Orphan Asylum Cheltenham in 1891 census and Frederick was in Müllers orphanage Bristol. Their father’s brother James was my great great grandfather and he was living in Axminster at the time.

Albert's birth was registeredDec qtr 1878 and Frederick's Dec qtr 1880 both in Axminster reg district
their mother Sarah Ann's death was registered Jun qtr 1886 Axminster and their father Isaac D Loveridge's death was registered Dec qtr 1886 Axminster  -so mother died and father dies a few months afterwards - purchase of death certificates would give cause of death.
1881 Sarah Ann's mother was living with them (she must have remarried as her surname at this time was Trott) She was widowed quite young and was widowed againby 1871. So she probably was unable to keep the children financially.
Isaac D Loveridge's father died when Isac was young so there seemed to be little support available
By 1891 Albert was in the Boys Orphan Asylum Cheltenham - this institution only had places for 20 boys (there was also a girls institution) so maybe the boys went there together and then Frederick was moved - there are no records available for the Boys Orphan Asylum
Albert was in the Mullers Orphan House no 1 - here accepted boys up to the age of 10 and they chose and learned a trade - it seems to be quite a religious establishment - you can look up both homes and there are pictures - but Mullers Homes have lists of all who were admitted there -the dates they were admitted and discharged and on some records more information can be found - for a small fee they will do a look up for you but this service is not available until Sept - the web site will give fuller information.
The good thing is the boys stayed in touch as when Albert married Frederick was a witness
I wondered if there were any more children born between 1881 and their mother's death in 1886????

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kjoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 July 19 06:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information, I know that Isaac’s father William was the landlord of the local pub, The Red Lion, Axminster and he was killed by a train. There was a detailed gory inquest in the local papers. Isaac and his wife ran an Ironmongers in the town and James, his brother took over the pub briefly from his brother. My great grandmother was born in the pub. I think that Frederick came back to the area in later life, married and had a farm. It seems that Albert was in London and became a cabinet maker. I didn’t know that they had kept in touch and it is nice to know. I am pretty sure that Isaac and Sarah didn’t have any more children. There is a hint in local papers that they had a drink problem but nothing conclusive. I should order the death certificates. I will also check papers again for an inquest for either of them.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 July 19 07:18 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat!

There is an inquest for Sarah, (Isaac's wife)  in the Western Chronicle 28 May 1886.  It states there were just the two children.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 July 19 14:45 BST (UK) »
it seems Albert did nicely for himself - he had to learn a trade in the childrens home and once they had they were not allowed to change their mind. So Albert must have learned the trade of Cabinet Maker in there
He was married 8 April 1901St Lukes Cheltenham
Albert Loveridge 22 Bachelor occ Cabinet Maker Kennington London father Isaac Drayton Loveridge occ Ironmonger (deceased)
Constance Ellen Musk 21 Spinster of 33 Cawbray ? Cheltenham father George Musk occ Waiter
married after Banns
both signed
Witnesses both signed - this is the spelling Frederick used
Witnesses Ferderick Loveridge and Ellen Musk
Albert died 30 Oct 1959
Probate
Albert Loveridge 0f 47 Farren Road Forest Hill London SE23 died 30 Oct 1959 at Bromley Cottage Hospital Kent
Probate London 11 Dec to Leslie Hugh Loveridge, bank officer
Effects £2122 17s 3d
(Leslie Hugh was Albert's son)

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kjoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 July 19 18:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you to everyone for the welcomes to RootsChat. I am so amazed at all the swift responses and genuine help. Thank you. I and descendants of the Loveridge family still live in Axminster and surrounding area. It was fascinating to discover the two brothers and their lives. My next mission is to visit Bristol and the Muller Orphanage records when they are up and running again. Frederick Loveridge came back to this area and married and farmed locally. He had several children and I grew up with their descendants! My family hadn't heard of the orphanages at all and I don’t know if it was known of in the generation above my father. As I said in earlier post, James Loveridge, my great great grandfather was Isaac’s brother. He stayed in the local area, married and had three children Elsie ( my great grandmother) a son Lisle and another daughter Lottie. He was very well respected locally and there was quite a lengthy piece about his funeral in the local papers. I will go back to that and see if either Frederick or Isaac were at the funeral...
thank you again for all your help.