Author Topic: Greenwich Cemetery - Herbert and Charlotte Laxton  (Read 2475 times)

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Greenwich Cemetery - Herbert and Charlotte Laxton
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 30 July 19 22:37 BST (UK) »
Chris,

I puzzled over the empty / unmarked area as well, but given the logical locations of 792, 801 and 815, thought the one my picture was the most likely. I did stumble on a stray kerbstone in the empty plot in the row above Arman's but can't for the life of me remember what number was on it. If you are up there again you will see where I cleared it off. Unfortunately I was tight for time on Sunday.
I find that, generally,Greenwich is one of the best for logical numbering, but, I suppose that only the Cemetery Office will be able to confirm the location beyond doubt.

Phil
Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 31 July 19 03:09 BST (UK) »
This is the headstone just in case anyone can make out any lettering, but it has me beat. I tried photographs from different angles and illumination, but it didn't help. I think it must have been very lightly engraved and succumbed to the weather, a problem I've seen with many WW2-era headstones, though I'd have thought Charlotte's 1957 inscription (if her name was ever added) might have been done more heavily and survived better. There is nothing on the side facing the path.

I've cropped and compressed my photo to meet posting restrictions, but could e-mail the original or post a portion full-size if anyone thinks they can see anything.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline LWoodley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 August 19 05:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much!  What a pity we can't read the headstone.  I really appreciate your help with this.