Author Topic: My Great Great Grandmother died when she was six months old  (Read 5099 times)

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: My Great Great Grandmother died when she was six months old
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 20 July 19 17:51 BST (UK) »
The Ormond children are listed as Ormand.

I started this earlier but had to go out. It relates to Samuel Balmbrough.

There was a family with similar names near Thirsk but John's birth is 10 years out.

John Baumbrough married Elizabeth Mussy in Kirby Wiske, near Thirsk, on 3rd May 1753.

Eldest son, John, baptised 3rd July 1755.

However, a John Baumbruff was buried there in 1763 but no age given.

Two of John's children had middle names of Musson, fairly common in Leicestershire, which may have been confused with Mussy.

John and Elizabeth also had a son, Samuel, baptised in 1756. He may have married as Balmbrough in Thirsk in 1784 to Margaret Till.

Just found the following:-

The baptisms of the children of Samuel and Margaret state that Samuel was the son of John Balmbrough of Kirby Wiske, Innkeeper. This could make him the brother of your John.

Samuel's son, Samuel, may have married Rosemary English in York in 1815 but nothing to confirm that it was him.

David

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 21 July 19 10:43 BST (UK) »
The third brother, Thomas Baumbrough, married Jane Mettrick/Metrick on 27th November 1783 in Husthwaite. He was of Sherriff Hutton and she of Husthwaite.

Like Samuel, their children were born in Easingwold. Thomas also gave his father as John Balmbrough of Kirby Wiske but a labourer, rather than an Innkeeper.

David

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 22 July 19 08:28 BST (UK) »
Sorry I did not get back yesterday, time ran out.

John Ormand's marriage to Eleanor Ecob is probably right. Thank you. His first wife Elizabeth was buried the previous July. Did not wait long. No late child as I can see so there was not that urgency to have a stepmother for the small baby which often happened.

Bambrough and variations goes back in Kirby Wiske to Elizabeth bap there on 15 Dec 1685 with a gap from 1732 to John Baumbrough who marries Elizabeth Mussy in 1753. This John's father might be the John Bambrough bap there on 24 Dec 1705 son of Thomas Bambrough and Ann. (There is a Mossy name in another register, could be that. )

This family seems to be right. I do like these genealogical parish registers you have found!! Thanks.

The John buried in 1763 might well be the one born in 1705 but as you say......

John and Elizabeth had four sons, the eldest Thomas b 1753 died. John, Samuel and Thomas the survivors (they were those days it was the survival of the fittest for those little ones) leave the village and the connection goes.

There is a Mary Bambrough marrying in the 1730's in Kirby Wiske who could well have been John b 1705's sister.

It means there are three John's. John (1) born in Kirby Wiske 1705, John (2) born somewhere else in the 1730's and marrying Elizabeth in 1753 in Kirby Wiske and their son John (3) b 1755 who is probably Ann Ormand's husband.

There is a fly in the ointment as we know. The difference of ten years for John's birth 1745 or 1755?

Which John is the one who is buried in Grantham aged 90 in 1835. Could be John 2 or 3. 1835 gives a birth date 90 years before of 1745. Thought this was John 2 but that makes him 21 years older than his wife. That would look like a second marriage but have not found one.

I found the date of 1835 in the National Burial Index on Find My Past last April but for some reason it does not show up again now. I have a copy of the register and it is clearly 90. Perhaps the family thought he was older than he was, but he would have to be ten years younger to be born in 1755.

There are always questions aren't there. T

Thanks for all your help David.

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 22 July 19 10:06 BST (UK) »
The age of John is a problem and is clearly 90 on the register - as Balmborough.

There is an account of his death in the Stamford Mercury in 1835, also as Balmborough It also gives his age as 90 and his birth as midsummer's day. The day of his birth is just before the baptism, so is about right. He was in lodgings, so the informant may have been mistaken about his age.

Let me know if you can't find it on FindMyPast - http://www.rootschat.com/links/01o32/

I found something about Samuel Balmbrough, who was a frequent visitor to York:-

1818 Carriers who Inn at York (Google Books)

Easingwold - Samuel Balmbrough, White Swan Petergate, Saturday mornings, returns at noon.

Also - http://www.rootschat.com/links/01o2z/

David

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 23 July 19 04:00 BST (UK) »
Poor John, fell down the stairs, it seems he was unsteady on his legs. As you say he was in lodgings so the owner perhaps did not know his age. It also says he brought up 17 children, I have found fifteen of which all but four died as babies or children, perhaps John was inclined to exaggerate!!

So it seems John was born in Kirkby Wiske, went to Melton Mowbray where he married, moved to Grantham, back to Melton Mowbray and then York. It seems in his old age he went back to Grantham. It all fits.

Thank you for the bit about Samuel, that was interesting. He was a carrier, was a good living those days. Probably had more than that run on Saturday. Carrying goods and people as well sometimes from the outlying villages was the only way people had before public transport. He is also mentioned here https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/ARY/York/York23Dry under Land Carriers.

Not only have I found my great great grandmother but more about her husband too probably right back to around 1700!

Thank you.