Author Topic: Edm Bremingham de Broghall  (Read 7589 times)

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edm Bremingham de Broghall
« Reply #72 on: Friday 09 August 19 20:37 BST (UK) »
I'm seen the bit about James dying in the Inquistions.  I wish there was a guide to understanding them.  There's a lot of stock phrases and words in them, but a lot of the words aren't easy to translate.  The abbreviations don't help, but I'm not even sure that all the words are standard Latin.

I've wondered a lot about the repeating names.  On the one hand, I was thinking about this cousin idea.  But, then again, I think there weren't many major land-owning families.  And a lot those that existed were very fruitful.  So, even within 50 or 100 miles, you might not see too many names.  You used to see this phrase: O'Molloy country, or Bermingham country, etc.  If you look at the Down Survey maps, in some places, you can really see how the names cluster.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Friday 09 August 19 20:47 BST (UK) »
Walter 2

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Friday 09 August 19 21:57 BST (UK) »
I have definitely noticed some similarities in these pedigrees.

Edmund's second wife was Alison, daught. to Arthur Darcy of Little Grange, Westmeath.

The following pedigree of Grange Berminghams mentions another daughter of exactly the same guy.
https://www.libraryireland.com/Pedigrees2/bermingham-3.php

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Saturday 10 August 19 04:40 BST (UK) »
That is quite curious: Lisagh O'Connor calls a guy named "Geoghegan" his brother in the will.  Seems to definitely be a different surname. 

I wonder if he really was first cousin to Edmund and John.  I have previously heard the word "cousin" used in a strange way around that time: it was used to describe a grand-nephew of a man, one who had a different surname.  Maybe, they weren't actually related through the O'Molloys.

I think the Inquisition might say something interesting.  I have noticed it mentions Lysagh, Edmund, and this Geoghegan, along with a few other men.  It talks about another O'Connor named Barnaby dying in 1621.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.