Author Topic: Edm Bremingham de Broghall  (Read 7543 times)

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edm Bremingham de Broghall
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 16 July 19 18:51 BST (UK) »
It comes off that thread, but the tombstone was in Kildare.  I feel more confident the family traces to Offaly now that I've seen the Down Survey.  Suppose I should have linked back.

Looking at it more closely, I think Edm. is the only relevant name in this entry.  Seems to be only a sentence, if I am reading it correctly.

BTW, I am interested in all the Bermingham family connecting to Brohal.  Spelled various.  I don't really have much of anything on them so far.  To summarize:

Maurice Bermingham's daughter Mary's grave who died in 1719.  Some vague references to William Bermingham from the Down Survey website.  The meat of which is the actual survey.  not sure what 1641 and 1670 from that site signify.  And this one reference to Edm. Bermingham.

I'm not sure who the last Bermingham resident was at Broughal, or when Maurice was there.  I'd be interested in finding that out.  I am wondering if it is possible that they might have been dispossessed by William, but I'm not sure how I would establish that.

I semi-supsect that the family might be related to the Berminghams of Carbury or Dunferth.  I have heard the Malloys still held Brohal in about 1597.  And then, there is the coincidence of the two Dempsey/Birmingham marriages.  The earlier one, Anne to the viscount Maximilian Dempsey, and Mary of Brohal to Pat Dempsey of Kilmurry, who I believe had a father Charles of Coolelan.

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 July 19 20:03 BST (UK) »
On the 1659 census, the Parish of Ballyboy does not seem to appear as having many tituladoes.    There are none listed for "Broghelloe" (or Brohal.)  Perhaps, the original source page was rotted on that side of the info.

9 English and 52 Irish, for Broghelloe.  I wonder what the Berminghams would have been counted as.

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 July 19 20:18 BST (UK) »
Here is one piece of folklore relating to Broughal and Cromwell:

https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/5044637/5028077

I don't know how reliable it is, since it goes on to mention a ghost and a leprechaun.  I suppose if they were in the castle when and if it was attacked, they probably would have been given no quarter.  But I guess it is also possible that they might not have been in it.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 16 July 19 20:30 BST (UK) »
It comes off that thread, but the tombstone was in Kildare.  I feel more confident the family traces to Offaly now that I've seen the Down Survey.  Suppose I should have linked back.

Looking at it more closely, I think Edm. is the only relevant name in this entry.  Seems to be only a sentence, if I am reading it correctly.

BTW, I am interested in all the Bermingham family connecting to Brohal.  Spelled various.  I don't really have much of anything on them so far.  To summarize:

Maurice Bermingham's daughter Mary's grave who died in 1719.  Some vague references to William Bermingham from the Down Survey website.  The meat of which is the actual survey.  not sure what 1641 and 1670 from that site signify.  And this one reference to Edm. Bermingham.

I'm not sure who the last Bermingham resident was at Broughal, or when Maurice was there.  I'd be interested in finding that out.  I am wondering if it is possible that they might have been dispossessed by William, but I'm not sure how I would establish that.

I semi-supsect that the family might be related to the Berminghams of Carbury or Dunferth.  I have heard the Malloys still held Brohal in about 1597.  And then, there is the coincidence of the two Dempsey/Birmingham marriages.  The earlier one, Anne to the viscount Maximilian Dempsey, and Mary of Brohal to Pat Dempsey of Kilmurry, who I believe had a father Charles of Coolelan.

Yes, there was something about her father putting stone up or something to that efect.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 16 July 19 21:15 BST (UK) »
I'd be more inclined to search Properties rather than people as property is far better documented

Wills/Deeds/Partition/Marriage Agreements

A townland can be mentioned more than once!!

Land index: Louth, Meath, Leix (Queens)1708-1738 for example has this where Bermingham is Grantor but also keep eye out for where they are Grantees.

B's start here https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSHS-39WC-Y?i=148&cat=185720 they only start 1708!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 16 July 19 21:23 BST (UK) »
You can of course just get them as Grantors BUT if they were Grantees e.g. Delaney to Bermingham then Delaney needs to be checked too

Grantor index  B 1708-1729

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSMQ-KQ5X-5?i=435&cat=185720 with absolutely no locations!!

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 17 July 19 01:04 BST (UK) »
Actually, Mary Bermingham's husband, Pat Dempsey, put up the stone and bragged about his father-in-law.  Possibly slightly odd behavior, but I can see the virtue in it, since it has allowed me to trace the furthest line on my tree.
http://www.enfieldgraveyards.com/Gravestone.aspx?GravestoneID=1548

I've done a little more browsing of the 1659 census.  Assuming a similar standard in different places, "Bermingham" is definitely counted as an Irish name.  In the Baroney of Ballyboy, Co. Offaly, where Broughal is, they seem to be under some threshold, meaning less than three families, or perhaps only the two men who appear on the Down Survey, William in Broughal, and near Broughal, Miles. 

In contrast, in the Baroney of Carbery, Kildare, it is the 2nd most common name, with 24 families.  This makes me more confident that they probably came from Carbery some time around 1597-1610.

I don't believe I can see the townland Broughal on the index of placenames.  Does that mean I wouldn't see it on the grantor/grantee records?  I have yet to master looking them up.  Definitely, need to study it.  Seems like a pretty useful resource, even if it does challenge the eyes.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 17 July 19 09:27 BST (UK) »
Probably same place as previous posting