Author Topic: Photo believed to have been taken in Fife mid-late 19th century  (Read 2172 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Photo believed to have been taken in Fife mid-late 19th century
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 17 July 19 17:20 BST (UK) »
I think it's the difference between outside light and studio light.  Actually, I think he looks older in the later ones. Also, he has a longer beard in the later ones and looks more 'spruced up'  :)

When did they marry?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Munro84

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 17 July 19 17:25 BST (UK) »
I think it's the difference between outside light and studio light.  Actually, I think he looks older in the later ones. Also, he has a longer beard in the later ones and looks more 'spruced up'  :)

When did they marry?

They married in 1885 and his wife's name was Agnes Kerr.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 17 July 19 20:09 BST (UK) »
I thought it might have been a wedding anniversary - 25th or 30th, maybe.

(This is a comment about the second photos)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Munro84

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 17 July 19 20:16 BST (UK) »
I thought it might have been a wedding anniversary - 25th or 30th, maybe.

(This is a comment about the second photos)
Could possibly be. All the family members who would have known have died. I was just wondering if any of you could make a judgement on the old man's height. In the first photo posted he stands taller than all of the woman and the other man standing on the back row I think could have been an exceptionally tall person for his time especially as he his holding his fist up which makes me think he could be a boxer. People were on average shorter in those days. His son, my great-grandad John Mckay Munro, I know was only 5 ft 8 and a half inches as per his military record. I am not sure what the average height for a man was back then ?

Update: according to this the average height of British men in 1870 was just 5 feet 5 inches: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-23896855

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 18 July 19 08:38 BST (UK) »
Hello

Have a look at the initial post photo again, has the Munro poster come to any conclusion as to why the arrow on the bottom boarder is pointing upward, apparently to a seated man in the first row.

Was the arrow already there when you found the photo?

Mark

Offline Munro84

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 18 July 19 14:22 BST (UK) »
Hello

Have a look at the initial post photo again, has the Munro poster come to any conclusion as to why the arrow on the bottom boarder is pointing upward, apparently to a seated man in the first row.

Was the arrow already there when you found the photo?

Mark

Hi, my auntie drew it on there and wrote on the back who we thought it might be. But we now know it is not the person we thought it was. We thought it might be a man called Bob Dickson who is stood in the second family photo with the moustache. But it is clearly not him. Bob was married to a daughter of the old man. Just wondering if in the first photo any of the women are the old man's sisters. He had four sisters, one older and three younger. Who knows ! :-)😁