Author Topic: Myheritage dna  (Read 4289 times)

Offline Murrell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Myheritage dna
« on: Wednesday 17 July 19 19:04 BST (UK) »
Well l struggled for sometime on which company l should do the DNA with. Which type should l go for a minefield but hoorah myancestry offered a free kit if they considered you worthy lo!. I said I'm looking for my brother who through normal channels have failed to find.
Anyway they said a kit was winging its way to me- it arrived l did it buds in the cheek either side then off it went to USA.
Have to wait a few weeks for the results, but l haven't deluded myself that it will be anything other that a basic kit to lure me in. I see that Ancestry hold the biggest store.
So what am l asking well 1st will l be able to make sense of what they send me and 2nd should l pay to do an Ancestry one to cover  my odds.
Any support welcome especially folk who have done DNA with myheritage.

Power Ward Rooney  Southern Ireland

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Myheritage dna
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 July 19 20:00 BST (UK) »
Do you mean MyHeritage sent you a free kit? If so, good for you  ;) Just a personal opinion, but I'd wait to see what it turns up, and then move on to Ancestry if you don't find anything.

You should be able to make sense of MH. If it's a full sibling you're after, you'll be looking for a match that's c. 3,500 cM and this should be at the top of the list. Not sure if there's such a thing as a basic MH kit but, if they don't give you all the tools, you can unlock them for a one-off fee of £35 inc VAT.

Good luck!

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 July 19 21:19 BST (UK) »
If you are looking for a brother and he does not turn up in your results from MyHeritage then you should get your DNA out onto as many sites as possible. You will be able to upload your MyHeritage result to FTDNA, gedmatch and LivingDNA. The other major sites, AncestryDNA and 23andme, do not accept uploads so you would need to buy kits for them.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Murrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 July 19 22:18 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for both of your replies.
Yes l have been given a kit at no cost.
I'm so excited only found out about my brother two years ago.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 July 19 00:26 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if it is genuine pro bono or just clever marketing but 15 months ago MyHeritage offered 15000 free tests for people with adoption mysteries and I got one of them. I Have Nothing But praise for them as it has been really helpful. I think they are trying to increase their profile, especially in the UK market.

The test confirmed a lot of things that I believed to be true, and also gave me lots of clues to investigate for the future.

Martin

Offline Murrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 July 19 22:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin
Your experience sounds interesting - yes as you say the company probably see the free kits leading to more people buying from them. I see you can buy premium so assuming my kit and what it offers is a lesser version.
I will have to wait and see but nothing ventured nothing gained.
I will post follow up details of my outcome. Thank you very much for your support

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 July 19 07:11 BST (UK) »
I am assuming that the free kit will be autosomal DNA, one of the most common types of DNA testing these days.

You should get the full autosomal package included without paying any extra, I would have thought. Martin should be able to confirm.

'Premium' refers to subscription package, which will enable you to attach a large family tree to your results, access their record sets, etc.

https://faq.myheritage.com/en/article/what-do-i-get-with-a-myheritage-premium-subscription

However, I have a large tree there uploaded by gedcom, which exceeds their limits. It has sat there for nearly two years now with the occasional reminder to upgrade.

Happy hunting!

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 July 19 09:38 BST (UK) »
I think you are sounding a little ungrateful and overly suspicious about the free kit MyHeritage gave you.

This kit will give you a list of matches.  You may have as many as 6,000 matches.  If your brother has tested with MyHeritage or uploaded to MyHeritage from elsewhere he will be on the first page.

I've uploaded a few kits to MyHeritage and it's very clear what you get for your money.  If you are looking for a brother he will be obvious - no need to subscribe or purchase any add-ons, not even the chromosome browser.

I've only uploaded kits to MyHeritage.  They're 'unlocked' so I can see the chromosome browser.  I don't need to access MyHeritage records because I already have many records from elsewhere.

If in the future you would like to use your DNA to take your tree back further or make sense of your relationship with other matches then you might want to unlock the various features that MyHeritage offers, but that is your choice.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 July 19 09:49 BST (UK) »
Different people test with different sites so if you are looking for someone specific you should get your DNA out onto as many sites as possible. Your MyHeritage kit can give you many useful matches. You can also upload from there to FTDNA, LivingDNA and gedmatch to widen the net. AncestryDNA and 23andme do not accept uploads so you would need to buy kits with them if you want to have access to their databases. I do most of my DNA research on AncestryDNA, but keep an eye on my match lists on the other sites too. This pays off. Yesterday I found a previously unknown half-sister for one of my Canadian cousins because this person matched me on 23andme. We are now in the process of transferring her results to MyHeritage where I can do a direct analysis to her half sister and Dad who I have previously tested on AncestryDNA. For best results you need to be flexible in which sites you use.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn