Author Topic: Gro certificates  (Read 2009 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gro certificates
« Reply #9 on: Friday 19 July 19 16:15 BST (UK) »
Always check fee.bmd.org corrected by Carol below. When I have bought a certificate I upload the information as a postem; it appears as an envelope icon to the right of the entry. I do this whether the person turns out to be related or not. So you may find that others have added to information you seek already.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 July 19 20:51 BST (UK) »
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 20 July 19 02:10 BST (UK) »
I would also check "unwanted certificates" on this site.
Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 20 July 19 11:58 BST (UK) »
For marriages, a civil cert is my very last resort.
 If I can establish that the couple married in a church I try to get a copy of the church register - so much better as a) its usually cheaper, b) you get the original record that was made and signed by all concerned on the day. Its the original source and you can't do better than that.

Baptisms - not a civil event but usually show parents names, abode, father's occupation, baptism date and sometimes a date of birth. Pre 1837 its your only option anyway.

GRO now do a pdf version of the civil register entry for births up to 1918 for 7 which is still a lot but cheaper than a cert on a posh piece of paper.

They also do pdfs of deaths up to 1957. Other than that look at burials registers for the parish they lived in, check probate calendars to see if you can get an exact death date.

Family Search would be my first stop. I search the catalogue to see what they have for a particular parish and follow that through. If they have images (sometimes only viewable at a family history centre) that's a bonus. If not I can either visit an archives if I am near enough or usually order a copy from the relevant archives for less than a civil cert.

If you had folk in Derbyshire, this Family Search page should keep you busy for a good long while

https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1911752

Boo