Author Topic: Not in 1940 Census  (Read 331 times)

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Not in 1940 Census
« on: Saturday 20 July 19 20:28 BST (UK) »
Looking for my Paternal Great Grand Parents. I haven't been able to locate them in the 1940 US census for Marin County, California. I know where they lived (same house they built in 1914 - 1917. The house was located halfway up on the side of a hill. Since he had been a Sea Captain and spent several years at sea and then traveling on the high seas after retirement I assumed they could have been traveling and away from the house. After further research I realized their street/road along with several other nearby roads weren't in the census. Could the enumerator have gotten tired and not finished his route? Could the information be listed outside Marin County? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

yn9man

Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: Not in 1940 Census
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 July 19 20:37 BST (UK) »
What town?  What street?
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Online oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Not in 1940 Census
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 July 19 21:34 BST (UK) »
After further research I realized their street/road along with several other nearby roads weren't in the census.

I've seen it happen with my family, I think 1910 in Cleveland.

If you know the street you can try https://stevemorse.org/census/unified.html

Be sure the year at the top is set to 1940 then follow the directions selecting the state, county, street, cross streets, etc.

Have you looked for City Directories?