Author Topic: Swedish and Danish lastnames  (Read 5217 times)

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Swedish and Danish lastnames
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 03 August 19 09:59 BST (UK) »
Cheers and you're welcome. I can be a wee bit stubborn at times.

I assume you are from Australia, if so, you don't happen to watch the Ashes cricket by any chance?
I am just waiting for day 3 to start and a whole day of cricket in front of me.

Ian

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 05 August 19 01:33 BST (UK) »
Hi

Yes I am from Australia  and I do follow the cricket. I watch the tests at times, depends on whether I have family around. We have a summer series here between the states and one that has teams from the major cities  BBL  ie Big Bash League. those are usually day/night events like 20/20and are really exciting. The guys playing those really slog the ball in an attempt to send it out of the oval and into the stands or wherever.
The spectators then try to catch it.  Seems to be a issue.  don't know if they get anything or not for doing so.

I like Australia to win but if they do not play well and get beaten ..such is life.
Being an Aussie is a bit of a two edged thing for me as most of my immediate past family are all from England or Ireland  with a smattering of this Danish Swedish line.   So I get a bit torn between the two.

Enjoy the cricket 

Thanks again for all you have found.   After putting all this in perspective I will consider the next way to go.

Essnell

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 17 October 19 11:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Jamcat95,

Hope you see this post.   I am after some help with the following:  Post no#42  that you made  part of below

Christine Westerdahl (Jönsdotter):

1824 22 Nov - Christine Jönsdotter - Skurups Parish - Father Jöns Westerdahl:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01o4n/

I am having some trouble actually making complete sense of all the names it contains

I have Christina  Jönsdotter who is also Christina Westerdahal  her father being Jons Westerdahal.  There are also these persons:

Anna Rassminsdotter   

Elena Jappal Dotter

Pigan Mastta Jönsdotter

They are numbered as in No2 or no3  and referred to Can you explain what was recorded.

I suspect they might be relatives or godparents  etc. 

sorry to be a pest. It has me very curious.   

Thanks Jamcat95 or anyone else who might help with this bit.

Essnell

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 17 October 19 11:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,
No problems.

Translation:

November 22 born and christened 23.
Blacksmith Jöns Westerdahl and his wife Hanna Rasmusdotter's daughter from house Nr2 Sandåkra named Christina.
Schoolmaster's wife Elna Jeppesdotter from Nr1 Sandåkra Näs.
Witnesses: Farmer Lars Mårtensson at Nr15 Sandåkra, Blacksmith journeyman Nils Ahlström at Nr2 - Farm-maid Mätta Jönsdotter from Nr3. Farm-maid Anna Rasmusdotter from Nr1.
Mother 23 years old.

Ian

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 18 October 19 14:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks Ian, that is really great.  Didn't get it all that clear but it was a tad blured.  Now I know the whole story. 

Here in Australia I have found that she married again in 1908  but Carl August did not die till 1919.
Karin died quite some time after Carl and was buried with her new name Eggert.

Thus there is still a bit more to find out.   

Thankyou again

Cheers
Essnell.

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 18 October 19 14:37 BST (UK) »
Cheers Essnell,
Anymore queries?...... just ask away.

Ian

Offline luapllirk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 17 October 20 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Essnell,
I am from Sweden and I have further info as to your relative Karin Nilsson born 1857 in Genarp.
Paul

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 18 October 20 03:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul, 

I don't quite know what to say here.  I never expected to get any further information on any of what is in this thread. Jamcat95 has been a tremendous help and I am really grateful to him.  Thank you for contacting me.

As time has passed a little I have begun to wonder about other's who may be in Sweden. 

Did you see my reply on your first post?
 Karna has been so difficult to track down so I am quite surprised by of this.
I am going to PM you.

Kind regards
Essnell

Offline luapllirk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 18 October 20 17:26 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
My name is Paul Krill and I was born in Malmo a city in Skåne which is the southmost province in Sweden. My mothers mother and her husband were both born about 15 km from Genarp.
The real background for my contact is that I had a DNA-test and found to my surprise that I have quite som matches in Australia. I also have a genealogy friend and relative who made the same experience. When we then found out that Karna - a past relative of us - emigrated to Australia 1878, we began to search for her. I googled on something (?) and stumbled across Rootschat and your search for the background of Karna. This seemed as a real luck stroke.
Karna was as you know the daughter of man with the first name Nils - thus the family name Nilsdotter. Karna is the local version of the Swedish name Karin in Skåne. When she emigrated she altered her name to Karin Nilsson. I have then read your comment that she was called Kate within the family in Australia.
I will be most glad to share details as to Karna incuding her larger Swedish family - incuding parts of the family tree). (If I will be successful with sending this message to you.
By the way: I used the word "follower" as a translation of the Swedish "efterföljare".
Best regards
Paul