Author Topic: James Spence in Peel, Ontario  (Read 1985 times)

Offline Revolution

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
James Spence in Peel, Ontario
« on: Wednesday 24 July 19 09:39 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have recently had some DNA matches to the descendants of Margaret Spence and William Carberry who married on 11 Nov 1858 in Toronto Gore, Ontario, Canada. Margaret named her parents as James Spence and Mary Sines. My Spence family were from Ahoghill, Co Antrim but the name is quite popular there.

I attempted to find Margaret Spence in the Canadian Census of 1851 since she has stated in a later Census that she arrived in Canada in 1846.  She would have been 10 years old on arrival, and must therefore have travelled with one or both parents.

I found a headstone online for a James Spence who had married a Margaret (Not Mary) Sims and thought that might have been the couple. The headstone is here:

http://geneofun.on.ca/names/photo/1064036

I couldn't find James in the death index.

Ive since used ancestrys Ontario death index and found another James with his wife Mary who died

2 April 1877 in Streetsville, Peel, Ontario, Canada. James was from Co Antrim and a teacher
7 Mar 1881 in Streetsville, Peel, Ontario, Canada. Mary teachers wife

Can anyone identify who the correct parents are for Margaret, where she was in 1851 and her siblings?

Margaret was buried in Peel, Ontario, Canada

CARBERRY William Carberry Died Jan. 21, 1920 age 90 years His wife Margaret Spence Died Feb. 21, 1911 age 76 years Their daughter Minnie Died Mar. 6, 1881 aged 16 years Matilda A. Died Jan. 20, 1882 age 22 years Frederick P. Died Oct. 4, 1897 age 25 years At Rest
McGaveston - Dublin-Ireland, France, New Zealand
White - Shalden, Alton, Chawton-Hampshire
O'Donnell - New Zealand, Co Down-Northern Ireland, USA
Franklin/Fraenkel - New Zealand, Prussia
Day - Echuca, Tongala, London, Fairford-Gloucestershire
Clark/McGraw - New Zealand, Ireland, England
McMahon -Ipswich-QLD, Kiladysart-Co Clare
Smith - Ipswich, Pine Mountain, Redbank-QLD, Co Westmeath, Co Cavan-Ireland
McGuire - Redbank - QLD, Co Westmeath-Ireland
Culhane - Queensland, Ardlaghan - Co Limerick

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Spence in Peel, Ontario
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 July 19 15:24 BST (UK) »
Here is a link to the 1851/2 census for a James Spence who is a teacher and has a wife Mary but I don't see a Margaret with them. I believe they are in Peel. Click on split view at the top to see the original image.

http://automatedgenealogy.com/census52/View.jsp?id=18063&highlight=3&desc=1852+Census+of+Canada+page+containing+James+Spence

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Revolution

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 July 19 10:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks PB.

I winder if she was sent off to work for someone or came with another family member.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi again....

Just having another look around without much luck but in your first post you mentioned something about siblings for Margaret? Can you tell me who they are?

Further research leads me to believe the one headstone you found for the James and Margaret is connected to the family I posted the 1851/2 census for. The Mary and Jane on the headstone are traceable forward from that census and there is a connection to the Beaty family, one of whom is also named on the headstone if I remember correctly.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Revolution

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 01:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi PB

Siblings were Hessie, Mary and Jane.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 13:59 GMT (UK) »
OK, so that would appear to be the correct family in the 1851/2 census then. Just that Margaret is missing. There's always the possibility she was left off the census when it was transcribed. There are 2-3 other Margarets around but they seem to be part of other Spence families.

PB

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 December 19 17:38 GMT (UK) »
There seems to be the possibility that there was another sibling Nancy Spence born about 1834? She married Robert Ker Beaty 12 Sep 1861. Born Cty Antrim Ireland. Parents James and Mary. This would possibly tie in with that headstone you found.

This is possibly Nancy in the 1851/2 census. Click on split view at the top to see the image. The first 16 people on the list are living in the same household. Still no sign of Margaret.....I think she must just have been missed off the census.

http://automatedgenealogy.com/census52/View.jsp?id=18400&highlight=12&desc=1852+Census+of+Canada+page+containing+Nancy+Spence

The headstone you found is a bit of a conundrum. Since the top burial recorded is the latest one I suspect the stone was only erected after Mary's death. Mary and Jane do appear to me to be the children of James and Mary. All these years after the deaths of James and Mary perhaps the family didn't quite remember dates and names correctly.

Anyway, my take on things for your consideration.

PB

Offline Revolution

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 December 19 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you PB

James had a sister named Nancy and I believe his mother was also named Nancy. The name Nancy is common in those lines and a good clue

In the 1881 Canadian census Mary and Jane Spence were living with Robert and his children. He is listed as widower at that stage.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 December 19 00:13 GMT (UK) »
The two ladies are with Beaty family right through the 1911 census, if I remember correctly, although Jane is missing one year, 1891 I think.

Do you have Irish records related to this family?

PB