Author Topic: Monaghan workhouse  (Read 1686 times)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Monaghan workhouse
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 August 19 09:44 BST (UK) »

Do you have the death of Thomas Scott Martin?
His son, Fred was the informant residing at 109 Wellesley Avenue.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1920/05132/4413434.pdf

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 August 19 18:00 BST (UK) »

Marriage of Walter Riddell Martin in 1917 in Dublin South.
He was living at 26 Wellington Park, Belfast.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1917/09753/5539675.pdf

KG

Offline Robbierobbo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 August 19 19:03 BST (UK) »
Hi! Thanks for all this info...I do have a fair amount of material on the Martins..especially the sons and daughters...Walter in fact married twice but having difficulty in getting info on the death of his first wife although her father and brother are well documented. My biggest difficulty is getting information on Thomas’s father and mother...I can guess..but even knowing they came from Ytrone isn’t a big help.
But, I do appreciate the help and interest from people here..I am quite new to this, but as my cousin’s wife who introduced me to it said....it is addictive!

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 August 19 09:56 BST (UK) »
If you haven't already come across it, an item in the March 9th, 1878 edition of the People's Advocate and Monaghan, Fermanagh, and Tyrone News may be of interest.

It concerns a request  from Thomas for a testimonial from the workhouse Board of Guardians and touches on him having been dismissed from there after charges he brought against  some officers of the establishment were not substantiated.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Robbierobbo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 08 August 19 11:39 BST (UK) »
Hi!
That is very interesting - I shall definitely follow it up!
Thanks