Author Topic: Gilmores - Robert Gilmore b abt1770 of inshaleen  (Read 2220 times)

Offline htrass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gilmores - Robert Gilmore b abt1770 of inshaleen
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 December 21 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Aghadowey. That's brilliant. That makes sense about James Gilmour as that name appears in the same general area as William and Robert briefly in the 1860s. I'll do some more digging on him and also try to work out if Elizabeth actually existed.

Yes the info I got is from the Bann Valley records: 1840 First Garvagh Presbyterian Church Visitation List
https://www.angelfire.com/falcon/bannvalley/visitation/1840_1/1.html

You may have been in touch with Bruce Gilmour who was in NZ in the 90s researching his grandfather, Adam Orr Gilmour's line. Bruce was Australian- I wonder who the cousin might have been? Last year I actually stayed in the Gladstone Grand Hotel in Fairlie, near Mt Cook, NZ, where Adam and his wife Martha Hunter (Sarah's sister) were the first license holders from 1884-1901. It's still quite original though full of cracks from the earthquake in 2010, and I worry about its future.

On that trip I visited the grave of Sarah Ann Hunter (McPherson) in nearby Temuka and cleaned the lichen off. There is a fascinating obituary written about her in 1892:
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/LCP18920901.2.16?items_per_page=100&query=%22Sarah+hunter%22&snippet=true&sort_by=byDA

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 18 December 21 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I was in touch with Bruce Gilmour who has since died. I was also in touch with a granddaughter of Ellen Gilmour who may still be alive.

James Thomas [?] Gilmore (James Alexander Gilmore on family tree?) bapt. 16 July 1839 First Garvagh Presbyterian Church.

An Elizabeth Gilmore certainly existed-
Born or (bapt.?) 7 Mar.1837 according to an online tree. There is a baptism in 1st Garvagh records for Elizabeth daughter of Robt. Gilmore, Inchaleen.

Will have a search for James but would be interested to know what you are able to turn up.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 December 21 11:38 GMT (UK) »
I could be wrong but I have a terrible suspicion this James Alexander Gilmour might be the one on online tree (in which case not son of this Robert Gilmour)-
http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/scholarly/tei-Cyc04Cycl-t1-body1-d7-d56-d2.html

Offline htrass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 December 21 13:08 GMT (UK) »
I could be wrong but I have a terrible suspicion this James Alexander Gilmour might be the one on online tree (in which case not son of this Robert Gilmour)-
http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/scholarly/tei-Cyc04Cycl-t1-body1-d7-d56-d2.html
Yes you are right. I've discovered that none of the three James Gilmours on the electoral rolls near Invercargill are the James I'm after, so I have no details at all now, other than the baptism record you suggested.

James Alexander Gilmour c.1857-1937 is the son of James Gilmore of Moneydig (I am learning my Derry geography, I see that's very close to Inshaleen). Interestingly, his son was James Torrence Gilmour.
James Boyd Gilmour c.1844-1933 is from Co. Derry- but wrong d.o.b.
James Gilmour, c. 1839-1919, farmer at Makarewa near Invercargill was Scottish. Right age wrong country.

One James Gilmour whose death is recorded in NZ (1914 at age 75, so born about 1839) has no obituary so I'm stuck there. He may have been the one in Cromwell, Central Otago, in 1877, working as a mail contractor or the one at Goodwood north of Dunedin. I'll keep looking.

I haven't asked- what is your personal connection to these Gilmours?

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 December 21 14:34 GMT (UK) »

James Alexander Gilmour c.1857-1937 is the son of James Gilmore of Moneydig (I am learning my Derry geography, I see that's very close to Inshaleen).

The townland of Moneydig is approx 4 km east of Inshaleen.
https://www.townlands.ie/londonderry/coleraine/desertoghill/bovagh/moneydig/
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/4808691#map=14/54.9869/-6.6427

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 19 December 21 18:41 GMT (UK) »
James Alexander Gilmour c.1857-1937 is the son of James Gilmore of Moneydig (I am learning my Derry geography, I see that's very close to Inshaleen). Interestingly, his son was James Torrence Gilmour.
James Alexander Gilmour (19 Oct.1856-1937 N.Z.) was the son of James Gilmore of "Farmhill" Boghilboy & Nancy Millar.
https://www.townlands.ie/londonderry/coleraine/desertoghill/bovagh/boghilboy/
James Gilmore & Nancy Millar had a large family, including a son Torrens Gilmore who married a Torrens.

I think that perhaps someone tracing the Inchaleen Gilmores found James' baptism then decided that James Alexander Gilmour in N.Z. was the same person  ::)

James Boyd Gilmour c.1844-1933 is from Co. Derry- but wrong d.o.b.
James Boyd Gilmour was the son of James Gilmour of Ballynacally & his wife Nancy Gilmour also of Ballynacally.
https://www.townlands.ie/londonderry/coleraine/aghadowey/aghadowney/ballynacally-beg/

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 20 December 21 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello all
I ave no hope of sorting out Gilmours, but am hopeful that someone else will find a key to unlock them. My tree on Ancestry is called Antrim-Londonderry, but I'm afraid I haven't done much work on Ancestry and have so far not succeeded in finding Hayden's tree. I'll try again when not so tired!

The potential for mixing up Robert Gilmours is apparently endless. My notes show a Robert Gilmour marrying a Torrens in Garvagh in 1797; her Christian name is illegible, but she might be the Martha Torrens in the 1796 census. Is this a different Robert and Martha marriage or the same or a complete red herring? I don't think it is wise to construct trees yet, in my current state of wisdom on the subject.

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 21 December 21 11:08 GMT (UK) »
I got sidetracked last night into looking at the Ballynacally Gilmours. A lot about them in the British Newspapers Archive. James Gilmour of Ballynacally made quite an impact locally, and emigrated as an elderly man to Melbourne, Australia. His son was "W.T. Gilmour", anyone bet on William Torrens Gilmour? and he married in Dunedin, NZ in May 1877

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 21 December 21 11:11 GMT (UK) »
I got sidetracked last night into looking at the Ballynacally Gilmours. A lot about them in the British Newspapers Archive. James Gilmour of Ballynacally made quite an impact locally, and emigrated as an elderly man to Melbourne, Australia. His son was "W.T. Gilmour", anyone bet on William Torrens Gilmour? and he married in Dunedin, NZ in May 1877

Afraid you'd lose that bet- his name was William THOMAS Gilmour.
Otago Daily Times, 2 Apr.1877: MARRIAGE On the 30th March, at the residence of the bride’s father, Walker Street, by Mr. J.J. Haley, William Thomas Gilmour, to Harriett, second daughter of T.C. Burt, Dunedin.
Otago Daily Times, 25 Mar.1929: GILMOUR.- On March 22, at his residence, 102 Carroll street, William Thomas Gilmour, aged 82. Private interment.