Author Topic: Shop name  (Read 2678 times)

Offline nibbs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Shop name
« on: Saturday 27 July 19 20:15 BST (UK) »
Hi
Can anyone find out what the name of a shop was in 1900s
The family is a Mary Jones born in 1868 Greenfield Flintshire but is living in bagillt street Holywell i have the 1911census but just says  14 bagillt street it say Mary Jones widow grocer confectioner really need the name of shop if anyone can help or if anyone has any idea how I can find it please
  Many thanks
   Wendy
hughes mills redfern thomas price peirce Evans /luke flintshire and turner rochdale turner/miller salt lake city Utah and miller wintersberg germany/stott rochdale /healey rochdale /dyson flint

Online mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shop name
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 July 19 20:20 BST (UK) »
Did shops have names then.?  The three grocers in our village did not have names even in the 1940s.

Mike

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 July 19 20:49 BST (UK) »
I think most shops in Wales were called JONES.  That is the origin of nicknames like Jones the Milk, Jones the Pork and so on. 

More seriously, I think you may be asking if there is a record of who owned the shop if it wasn't her.  If there are trade directories/street directories you may be able to find the same premises listed with an owner's name.  Of course it still could be a Jones, but there may be a first name too.  But as she is a widow she may well have been the business owner.

Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Offline nibbs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 July 19 21:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you both
hughes mills redfern thomas price peirce Evans /luke flintshire and turner rochdale turner/miller salt lake city Utah and miller wintersberg germany/stott rochdale /healey rochdale /dyson flint

Offline pb_devon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 July 19 08:08 BST (UK) »

Offline jontre90

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 July 19 18:16 BST (UK) »
Hi wendy
Im looking for same thing as you about Mary jones worked as grocer Confectioner in holywell on bagillt street.
Im her great great grandson

Are you related to my great great grandmother?

Mary Jones took over the shop around 1910 on the death of her husband john jones, her sister Sarah either bought or rented the shop for her so she would have an income. She had it until her death in 1934. My great grandmother her daughter was born in the flat above the shop in 1931, after that there is a gap. In the 1960s, it was a sweet shop called meredith's