Author Topic: Young/Maitland Family Tree  (Read 1159 times)

Offline YB2019

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Young/Maitland Family Tree
« on: Sunday 28 July 19 14:27 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am currently researching my Grandad's side of the family and have found some interesting things but still need some help. My Grandad's Grandparents were Joseph and Elizabeth Jane Young. After doing a bit more digging I have found that Elizabeth Jane Young's maiden name was Maitland. Her parents were Joseph and Eleanor Maitland both born in Pittington, Durham. Elizabeth Jane was the adoptive daughter of Joseph and Eleanor. I have found them on the 1881 census with their surname spelt 'Mateland' then again on the 1891 census as 'Martland'. I am not concerned that the names are spelt differently as I know this was a common mistake, however I am more interested in the adoption. I know the chances of finding this information is low as adoptions weren't official back then, but if anyone can point me in the right direction I would be grateful. I am also interested in the 'Maitland' name? I have read a lot of different things and story's about the name and it's origins, so was hoping someone could maybe shed some light on it?

If anyone has information or insights, I would love to hear it :)

Thanks in advance :)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Young/Maitland Family Tree
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 July 19 14:45 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat
According to "The Oxford Names Companion" Maitland is Scots and Norman English of uncertain origin, possibly a nickname for an ungracious individual from Anglo Norman French maltalent, mautalent bad temper. There is also a place called Mautalant in Pontorson, France, which may well be a partial source of the name.
"The Penguin Dictionary of Surnames" says it is also from Mautalant  is chiefly a Scots surname, and is the family name of the earls of Lauderdale.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 July 19 14:57 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootchat.

Who did Elizabeth Marry?

Do you have her exact dob from the 1939 register?

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline YB2019

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 July 19 15:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies and warm welcome.

Elizabeth Jane married Joseph Young in 1892 (Gateshead) and from the 1939 census I can see that Elizabeth Jane was born 13th May (or March - difficultly reading) 1873.

Because she was adopted I'm not sure if this was her name at birth - if not her first name, her surname would be probably changed?

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 July 19 15:20 BST (UK) »
What information did that marriage give for her father and who were the witnesses
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 July 19 16:08 BST (UK) »
Did they have a daughter Barbara Young  :-\

Offline YB2019

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 July 19 16:50 BST (UK) »
Yes - They actually had 13 children (one of which, James is my Great Grandfather). All born in Lanchester, Durham. There are 3 children I cant find births for so I am assuming they may if died before birth etc.  :)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 July 19 20:01 BST (UK) »
What information did that marriage give for her father and who were the witnesses

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 July 19 10:10 BST (UK) »
Its definitely not the 13 May as if you look at others names on the page born May it is easy to make it out. Its not April either.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)