Author Topic: Looking for Morrison and Ross connection  (Read 768 times)

Offline martyn ferguson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Morrison and Ross connection
« on: Sunday 28 July 19 20:41 BST (UK) »
Need help linking James Morrison, b about 1760 who married Margaret. surname unknown. They had children Elizabeth, James, Andrew, John, Margaret and Christian between 1791 and 1813, all in the Fintry, Falkirk, Alva area.
Ancestry hints that Margaret is the daughter of Grizel Gilmour of Craigmillar, first wife of George, Lord Ross This is clearly wrong as she died in 1749 and Margaret DOB should be circa 1760. All records only give Margaret's surname as Morrison, or Morison. I cannot find her maiden name. I estimate she married James in 1789/90. The incorrect ancestry link to the noble family Ross (well researched and widely available through George, Lord Ross) could be true if Margaret was a descendant of George and his 2nd marriage to Jean Ramsay - they had a daughter Margaret Ross who could be the mother of the Margaret I search for but again I cannot trace any history for Margaret Ross either.
Any help in breaking this would be most grateful. James and Margaret's son, Andrew was my GGG grandfather with his daughter Margaret marrying into the Ferguson line.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Morrison and Ross connection
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 July 19 09:34 BST (UK) »
In Scottish baptism records, if the surname of the mother is included (it usually is), it is her maiden surname. So your Margaret's maiden surname was Mor(r)ison as well as her married surname.

Do not trust anything you find on Ancestry or any similar web site, especially 'hints' or 'smart matches' or 'hot matches', without checking them very carefully and looking for proof of any claimed relationships.

See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

Viewing the original baptism records on Scotland's People may gives clues to the parentage of both James Mor(r)ison and his wife Margaret Mor(r)ison.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 July 19 10:44 BST (UK) »
As Forfarian said you would be better looking at Scotland's People.

However for information I checked the births you mentioned.

JAMES MORISON/MARGARET MORISON had the following children in Falkirk (none elsewhere).
JAMES 5/01/1800
ANDREW 22/03/1802
JOHN 29/07/1804
MARGARET 31/10/1808
CHRISTIAN 1/08/1813

Sadly no marriage in Scotland.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 July 19 11:00 BST (UK) »
ELIZABETH 23/01/1791 Fintry has just turned up parents JAMES MORISON/MARGRET MORISON.

This did not appear on a general search so there may be others in the gap 1792 – 1799?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 July 19 11:05 BST (UK) »
This may explain the gap?

Unknown MORISON 4/02/1798 Falkirk father JAMES.

Colin

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 July 19 11:34 BST (UK) »
If they followed the Scottish naming pattern this may be Margaret?

MARGARET MORISON 5/06/1774 Fintry. Parents  ANDREW MORISON/ELIZABETH RENNY

James however not quite straightforward, the only one in the County with mother Margaret may not be correct.

JAMES MORISON 24/08/1755 Campsie. Parents JAMES MORISON/MARGARET LIDDEL

From your post you may have decided on?

JAMES MORISON 4/05/1760 Falkirk. Parents JAMES MORISON/JEAN ROBERTSON

There are others in the County.

Colin

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 July 19 13:28 BST (UK) »
If they followed the Scottish naming pattern this may be Margaret?
MARGARET MORISON 5/06/1774 Fintry. Parents  ANDREW MORISON/ELIZABETH RENNY
Possibly but ....
ELIZABETH 23/01/1791 Fintry has just turned up parents JAMES MORISON/MARGRET MORISON.
Assuming infant baptisms, the daughter of Andrew M and Elizabeth Renny was only 16 when this Elizabeth was baptised and presumably just 15 when James Morrison and Margaret Morrison were married. Not impossible, but extremely unusual.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline martyn ferguson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 July 19 17:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you all.

Firstly I agree re Ancestry etc re checking elsewhere. James son Andrew is definitely my direct descendant so I know I have the right James. I too thought he may have married a Margaret Morison/Morrison but proving it is showing to be difficult. The link to the Ross family is still possible given the Ross family also had a few Morrisons in their tree so maybe James is the link back rather than Margaret. Either way I need a confirmed marriage of my James Morrison to Margaret to go any further. Any link to either Fintry or Falkirk is a probable but of course not a certainty.
The other unresolved link is I can still find no reference to Margaret Ross who may have had grandchildren, one of them being the Margaret who married James.
Anyway thanks for your efforts and advice. I will keep searching for a confirmatory link.