Author Topic: Norway 1801 census - Help with Translation  (Read 410 times)

Offline lhorosko

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Norway 1801 census - Help with Translation
« on: Monday 29 July 19 17:38 BST (UK) »
My ancestor Iver Iversen Aunet s shown in the 1801 Norwegian census with a family position of "Mand".  Google translate isn't helping - can anyone tell me what that means?

Thanks
Linda from Winnipeg

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Norway 1801 census - Help with Translation
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 July 19 19:17 BST (UK) »
It means man. An older form of the word coming from the Danish influence. Presumably in this case referring to the husband/head of the household. If you would like to post a link to the census you were looking at I can check that this is correct in the context of the given household.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline lhorosko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 July 19 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hi

Here is a jpg of the page I was looking at.

Regards, Linda from Winnipeg

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 July 19 23:29 BST (UK) »
OK. It is telling you that Iver Iversen is the husband and Elisabeth Knutsdatter is his wife. Also that this is the first marriage for both of them.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline lhorosko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 July 19 04:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks

Linda from Winnipeg