Author Topic: Divorce in the 1850s England  (Read 2059 times)

Online wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Divorce in the 1850s England
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 01 August 19 07:13 BST (UK) »

BDM NZ births

1860/10493   WALLIS   Richard Frederick   
parents Isabella / Richard Walter

1862/12398   WALLIS     Charles William  (died 1870)
parents Isabella / Richard

1865/18714   WALLIS   Maude Ellen   

1868/28821   WALLIS   Arthur Sidney   

1871/32362   WALLIS   Ernest Edward   

1873/379           WALLIS   Charles William    (died 1873)

1874/47069   WALLIS   Edith Mary   
parents Isabella   / Richard

1874/47072   WALLIS   Mary Frances   

1920/8071   WALLIS   Charles Alfred  (born 1877)   

1880/4078   WALLIS   William Edwin   

1882/19641   WALLIS   Bertie Lawrence   

Charles would seem to be a really important name in this family.......used three times to ensure there is a Charles....and for the second born son?

Who is the informant for the birth 1860...the person who gives father Richard a second given name?

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 01 August 19 14:55 BST (UK) »
yes fingers crossed. hopefully he signed it!

If you ordered it from the GRO it probably won't have the original signature.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lyn Riley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 11 August 19 22:36 BST (UK) »
I have now received the marriage certificate from GRO. Richard Wallis married Ellen Parkin at the General Baptist Chapel in Mansfield, Nottingham 1853. He was a 22 year old bachelor (confirms my theory he was born 1831) and his occupation is listed as Fellmonger. His father was (deceased) occupation Carpenter (the oldest son William, who was a timber merchant, would have inherited the father's tools). Richard was living in Church St, Mansfield and from the 1853 Directory of Nottingham I have confirmed there were 3 Fellmongeries in Nottingham at that stage. Ellen's father (also deceased) was a stonemason and her brother in law (Thomas Borthwell) was a witness. Ellen was living with her sister and brother in law Borthwells on 1851 census, and certificate states she was living in Hood/Wood St. I believe I now have the correct family connections. thanks everyone.

If anyone could direct me to photos/links of the Baptist Chapel in Mansfield about 1853 that would be most welcome or names of fellmongeries in and around the market place (close to where he lived) I would be grateful.

I have located an Ellen Wallis living as a servant at the Black Bull Inn on 1861 census (rounded up to 30 years old single person - she would have been 28)so can only assume she has not remarried or died at that stage. Well worth the money to buy the marriage certificate. thanks again everyone - any other useful advice would be most welcome.

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 12 August 19 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hello.... :)

As far as I know the Baptist Chapel was built early 1800's.

https://picturethepast.org.uk/image-library/image-details/poster/ptpn002087/posterid/ptpn002087.html

This map may be useful , you can make out where the chapel stood and scroll up and you can find Wood St.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01o6x/

There are only 10 baptisms from the Notts FHS index for Mansfield St Peter' which give occupation as Fellmonger.

from 1780 - 1848 - 2 have abode as Ratcliff Gate; 1 Bridge St & 5 Rock Valley

Offline Lyn Riley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 00:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this additional info and links.  There appear to be many Baptist churches/chapels at that time in Mansfield, but like you, I believe it to be the Stockwell Gate General Baptist Chapel. So many of them broke away from each other and morphed into another etc which makes it difficult to pin down.  The Minister who married my Richard Wallis was John Wood if I have interpreted the writing correctly on the marriage certificate and there was a John Wood at the Stockwell Gate chapel in the early 1850's. 

The Old map of Mansfield is fantastic thank you. 

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 10:27 BST (UK) »
yes fingers crossed. hopefully he signed it!

Just be aware that the certificate you receive from the GRO will most likely be a copy handwritten by someone else. To see the original signature, you would need to see an image from the parish register. This presupposes that he signed rather than giving his mark, and they married in a church rather than a Registry Office.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Lyn Riley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 06:23 BST (UK) »
yes thanks for that. It was definitely the GRO registrar who wrote on it. however, I am happy with the occupation (fellmonger) and church rd address on the certificate along with where he got married (General Baptist Chapel).