Author Topic: Another Jessie McKenzie  (Read 2652 times)

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
Another Jessie McKenzie
« on: Wednesday 31 July 19 00:21 BST (UK) »
Seems like I have a few Jessie McKenzie's in my tree
I'm looking for any information on Jessie born 27.3.1898 Helmsdale ( all siblings born Helmsdale )
eldest child of John Taylor McKenzie and Dorothy Mackay who were married 7.10.1896 Inverness
Siblings are Donald G b1902,Margaret b 1904, William A b 1906 Evander James b 1908 d 1996  and Dorothy Mary  b 1912

Elizabeth

McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Another Jessie McKenzie
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 July 19 11:02 BST (UK) »
As far as I can see from Scotland’s People all the MACKENZIE children you mention were registered at Kildonan.

JESSIE CHISHOLM 1897, DONALD JOHN GEORGE 1901, MARGARET TOUGH 1904,
WILLIAM ALEXANDER 1906, EVANDER JAMES 1909, DOROTHEA MARY 1912.

1901 census Jessie C (as noted) is with her mother Dorothy 29 and James C McKenzie age 20.
1911 census Jessie C (as noted) both her parents and siblings. (No James above)

There was a Jessie Ann and a Jessie both born there 1903. JESSIE ANN married in 1923.
There were two other marriages for a Jessie (no middle name) in the County 1927 & 1929.

It looks likely that Jessie’s father died 1933 & her mother 1953 both in Perth.

DOROTHEA MARY MACKENZIE married PETER MILLER 1930 Perth

So from this it is possible that Jessie C married David Geddes 1915 Blair Atholl

A JESSIE GEDDES died in Perth age 95 in 1996, given the age the information may not be exact and the mothers maiden name is noted as TAYLOR, as this was her fathers middle name I just wonder?

The only way to be sure is to purchase the marriage & death certs.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 July 19 14:21 BST (UK) »
Wow Thank you Colin Jessie Geddes grandmother was Margaret Taylor b Gairlock married to John McKenzie b about 1847 Helmsdale
so you may have put me on the right track

Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 July 19 15:46 BST (UK) »
Seems strange she was not mentioned in her father's army records  ???
John Taylor McKenzie
Birth 1 March 1873 Gairloch Rosshire
Enlistment age 37
Regiment Seaforth Highlanders
Number 41057
Short Service Attestation

Marriage for John Mackenzie to Dorothy Mackay 7/10/1896 Inverness

Mentions children as
Donald George Mackenzie 18/4/1901 Helmsdale
Margaret Taylor Mackenzie 3/5/1904 Helmsdale
William Alexander Mackenzie 24/2/1906 Helmsdale
Evander James Mackenzie 12/12/1908 Helmsdale
Dorothy Mary Mackenzie 14/8/1912 Helmsdale

Rosie

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 July 19 16:32 BST (UK) »
Rosie I looked for Johns records last night but was unable to find them thanks for this how can I obtain it

Colin I have found Jessie married to Henry Archer Palmer 1922 St Andrews St Leonard's This certificate I have to send for and as its a lot of money I've left it her death is in 1991 aged 92

Dorethea was correct Married  Peter Miller and she died 1985 aged 72

At the moment i'm looking in S/P for the Margaret Tough

Dorothy wife of John Taylor Mackenzie's  mother was Jessie Chisholm so we are right with that I already had that in my tree
Many thanks again both
Elizabeth

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 July 19 16:41 BST (UK) »
There is a Margaret Taylor Mackenzie death in S/P in 2001 also to send for aged 97 that would fit I with her age
Living in Kirkcaldy

Elizabeth

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 31 July 19 16:54 BST (UK) »
Rosie I looked for Johns records last night but was unable to find them thanks for this how can I obtain it

Colin I have found Jessie married to Henry Archer Palmer 1922 St Andrews St Leonard's This certificate I have to send for and as its a lot of money I've left it her death is in 1991 aged

Thought that might have been her marriage ..Elizabeth  his army records are on Ancestry with a copy of his birth certificate also ...Wonder why Jessie's name was missed out

Rosie

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 July 19 23:27 BST (UK) »
I found Donald J G Mackenzie died in Hendon 1957 Free BMD
also his marriage to a Edith S Wheeler 1923 at St George H Square
They have a son also names Donald I G Mackenzie born 1924 at St George H Square
there are more births for a Donald and Edith but they are dotted around the country not sure if they are belonging to this couple

I have Evander James living down in London as well he died 1996 at Brent Middlesex London
William died in Perth 1972

Rosie I cannot get the war record as I no longer pay into Ancestry
but it doesn't matter thanks again
Elizabeth

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 August 19 06:06 BST (UK) »
Glad you have found the  rest of the family   Elizabeth does your local library not have access to Ancestry ?

Rosie