Author Topic: Samuel family in Kirkliston and Stirlingshire  (Read 4297 times)

Offline RichSam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel family in Kirkliston and Stirlingshire
« Reply #9 on: Friday 02 August 19 00:30 BST (UK) »
Like I said.. this is all new to me. Thanks for the clarification tho.

-Rich

Offline nikitah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 August 19 21:42 BST (UK) »
Hi, don't give up, also don't take other peoples trees as gospel, it can and most probably will take years of research, for Scotland, you can search scotlandspeople. going by what others have found and a search of scotlandspeople, you will see that , the Father of Andrew was James Samuel, James was born Muiravonside, 24/5/1840, his parents are John  Samuel and Janet Taylor, John Samuel married Janet Taylor 31/8/ 1838 @ Muiravonside,  as well as Andrew I found ----- Mary  24/4 /1842 Muiravonsde, ------- Margaret ( 3rd child) 29/ 9/ 1844@ Abercorn,----------Janet 16/4/1848 @ Cramond,--------Eliza 3/ 7/ 1853 @ Currie. I hope you are now on the right track, you will need to purchase the certificates to verify all the above. By the way you seem to heading for my Samuels, all mine can be found in Dalmeny, Kirkliston, Cramond, Currie,  my branch is from Hugh Samuel 2/ 4 1812 Dalmeny, father Walter Samuel and Marion /Marie Phillips, happy hunting. Nikitah.                                                                                                       

Offline RichSam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 03 August 19 21:58 BST (UK) »
Facinating! I want to thank you for this information.  Yes I realize this is just the start of my search. The anticipation, following leads, making discoveries is all so very exciting.  It is people like you  on rootschat who make it all possible.

Thanks again,

-Rich

PS, are you a Samuel? Maybe you can answer that in a PM

Offline nikitah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 03 August 19 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Rich, no I'm not a Samuel, my grandmother was If you need to contact me by pm that's ok , other wise this thread will find me and others willing to help. If I find anything more I'll let you know, Nikitah. 

Offline RichSam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 03 August 19 22:42 BST (UK) »
Awesome! Thanks Nikitah 😁👍🏻

Offline ryan37

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 03 August 19 22:46 BST (UK) »
Great work folks rich greatly appreciates the help given

Ryan

Offline RichSam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Brand Samuel born 1877 in Kirkliston, Scotland
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 22 October 19 19:10 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone:

Since my last post I have had great success finding informatiom about my grandfather using ancestry.com

I recently connected with a cousin whose mother (my grandfather's youngest daughter) left her a box of letters written by my grandfather to her while she was in a TB Sanitorium in 1941, 1942. 

She also had several photo albums, one of which had a photograph with the caption "Capt. Andrew Brand Samuel" written above the photo.  My grandfather was a captain in the Canadian army during WW1, but in the photo he is wearing a HMCS Canadian Navy uniform. I am not able to confirm from his military records, that he was in the Navy, even temporarily. 

So now I am trying to find another photograph of him, even a school photo and hopfully compare the two and confirm that it is indeed him.

Any suggestions?

He was born in Kirkliston, Scotland August 30, 1877
He emigrated to Canada around 1901, starting work in a coal mine in Inverness, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia in 1902.
He enlisted in the Canadian Army in 1915, serving in England and France. He had listed his DOB as August 30, 1882 Glasgow, Scotland.
He died on March 13, 1945 in New Waterford, Nova Scotia.

Thanks again,

-Rich

Offline RichSam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 17 February 21 14:20 GMT (UK) »
I am pleased to report that I have made contact with a cousin in Scotland. Our grandfathers were brothers. He accidentally found my RootsChat post on google. We chat almost daily through WhatsApp and plan to visit each other post-covid. I am also in contact with other 2nd cousins in Scotland, and one each in Germany and Australia.

I was also able to track down one photo of my granda. It's a group military photo taken just before the Battle of Hill 70 in France during the Great War. (He is pictured here top row, far right). So the search continues for more.

I'd like to thank each and every one of you on RootsChat for being so kind and helpful, especially Ryan who has become a life-long friend. We also chat daily and plan to visit as well.

Thanks again,

Rich 🇨🇦🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿💙