Author Topic: Milbourne/Milburn family (multiple counties)  (Read 1417 times)

Offline Duncan Bennie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Milbourne/Milburn family (multiple counties)
« on: Wednesday 31 July 19 18:50 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I have posted this in the general England forum as it involves multiple counties.

I was working on some family lines in Ipswich and have hit a bit of a conundrum. Mary Ann (sometimes recorded as Maryann and Marianne) Milbourne, the wife of William Mortimer was baptised on 5 December 1813 (birth date 18 Nov). Her mother is listed as Deborah a widow, formally Bailey. In this Deborah remarries and is listed in the Census records as having been born in circa 1784 in Great Yarmouth in Norfolk. This all matches as Deborah Bailey was baptised in Great Yarmouth on 5 April 1784, the daughter of Robert and Susanna Bailey.

Now the question comes to her husband. Looking at other possible births to a Deborah married to a Milbourne, I discovered two further baptisms, Elisabeth Milburn, daughter of Thomas and Deborah Milburn, baptised on 24 April 1808 in Manchester and Sarah Milburn, daughter of Thomas and Deobrah Milburn, baptised on 10 December 1809 in Winchelsea in Sussex. Now there is an Elisabeth Milburn who marries in Ipswich who is listed in census records as having been born circa 1807 in Liverpool so appears to be the same Elisabeth. I would thus believe that this is the same Deborah.

I would suspect considering the time period that Thomas was possibly involved in the army or the navy, hence moving around a bit. The problem is that I have not found any marriage between a Thomas Milburn and any Deborah, never mind a Deborah Bailey. I have also not been able to find an applicable confirmed death to determine if Thomas could still have been Mary Ann's father, having died before her birth.

Any assistance with this family would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Duncan

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Milbourne/Milburn family (multiple counties)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 July 19 18:54 BST (UK) »
Is Thomas (deceased) mentioned at all on Mary Ann's baptism record?  If not I would not assume that he was necessarily the father & therefore alive in early 1813.

He may have had a civilian occupation (such as Customs & Excise) with that list of postings.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Duncan Bennie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 July 19 18:56 BST (UK) »
No he is not listed, her mother is listed as the widow Deborah Milbourn formally Bailey.

Offline Duncan Bennie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 July 19 18:57 BST (UK) »
He may have had a civilian occupation (such as Customs & Excise) with that list of postings.

That is also very possible.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 July 19 18:58 BST (UK) »
This burial may be of interest:

Thomas Milbourn aged 37, 15 April 1811 St Matthew, Ipswich.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Duncan Bennie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 July 19 19:02 BST (UK) »
This burial may be of interest:

Thomas Milbourn aged 37, 15 April 1811 St Matthew, Ipswich.

That could very possibly be him and if it is him Mary Anne is definitely then a bastard.