Author Topic: Family members  (Read 3711 times)

Offline Broderer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Family members
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 01 August 19 22:12 BST (UK) »
Yes, most of this information is right. B Kennard was my Mum and she & I lived in Higher Coombe Lodge with my grandparents after my Dad left us & returned to Canada. The dates are not quite right. We moved there about 1943 and left about 1954. Grandad was employed as caretaker to the WRN’s establishment there & the house went with the job.
Ann

Offline Broderer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 02 August 19 10:05 BST (UK) »
Albert & Amy moved to Higher Coombe Lodge in 1940. I discovered this last night when I was looking through my Gran’s birthday book.
Ann

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 02 August 19 10:05 BST (UK) »

The dates are not quite right. We moved there about 1943 and left about 1954. Grandad was employed as caretaker to the WRN’s establishment there & the house went with the job.

I didn't check all the ER dates for the Kennard's

Registers were not published during the latter years of World War 1 (1916–1917) or World War 2 (1940–1944)

Albert W & Amy E Kennard are at that address in 1956 and from 1956 onwards
there is an
Albert Kennard (no middle initial) & Amy E Kennard living at 12 Parsons Green

Do you have his birth certificate stating his middle name?

Albert William Kennard mmn Matthews, Dec qtr 1886 Cuckfield

You have his medals  - I asked about them (reply 24)

Is his name written in full or initials?

I don't think we'll know why the change of his middle name from William-Edward-William

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 02 August 19 10:24 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately there are no other Military records for him  ::)

There is also this:

Name:   Albert William Kennard
Military Year:   1914-1920
Medal Awarded:   British War Medal and Victory Medal
Regiment or Corps:   Duke of Cambridge's Own (Middlesex) Regiment
Regimental Number:   PW/4948
Previous Units:   PW/4948, 26th Middx. Pte.

Again...there were no enlistment papers for him that I could find, over 60% of WW1 records were destroyed in the WW2 Blitz  ::)

Carol

If you look for a name on the edge of the medals you have as Ladyhawk has suggested then it will confirm whether this record is your relative.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 02 August 19 10:38 BST (UK) »
Here are pictures and information on the medals awarded at the end of  WW1 :

http://www.greatwar.co.uk/medals/ww1-campaign-medals.htm

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Broderer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 02 August 19 15:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Carol
Have just got Grandad’s medals out and the following is what I have found.
He does have the British War Medal and the Victory Medal. Details round the rim of each medal
242479 Pte A Kennard The Queen’s R or 4 Queen’s R L R
His other medal has India on one side and what looks like a palace or fortress with mountains in the back round. There is a bar on the ribbon which reads Afghanistan N.W.I 1919. Details round the rim
242479 Pte A Kennard Queen’s R L R
Ann

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 02 August 19 20:43 BST (UK) »

Have just got Grandad’s medals out and the following is what I have found.

He does have the British War Medal and the Victory Medal. Details round the rim of each medal
242479 Pte A Kennard The Queen’s R or 4 Queen’s R L R

His other medal has India on one side and what looks like a palace or fortress with mountains in the back round.
There is a bar on the ribbon which reads Afghanistan N.W.I 1919. Details round the rim
242479 Pte A Kennard Queen’s R L R
Ann

How wonderful that you have his medals - I’ve had a look on Anc and his army record
nor his medal card for his BWM or VM do not appear

Is this the Afghanistan medal you have
https://www.bandgcoins.co.uk/product/george-v-india-general-service-medal-clasp-afghanistan-n-w-f-1919/

Edit

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/India_General_Service_Medal_(1909)

The reverse depicts Jamrud Fort at the Khyber Pass with the word ‘India’ below between a wreath of oak and olive branches

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Anglo-Afghan_War
The Third Anglo-Afghan War also known as the Third Afghan War, the British-Afghan war of 1919 and in Afghanistan as the War of Independence, began on 6 May 1919 when the Emirate of Afghanistan invaded British India and ended with an armistice on 8 August 1919.

Offline Broderer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 02 August 19 21:31 BST (UK) »
Yes, that is it exactly. Thank you for doing so much research for me. I really appreciate it.
Still haven’t been able to sort out the A E or A W Kennard. I have my Gran’s birthday book & for the 5th September it says A W Kennard. That was Grandad’s birthday but why would she put A W Kennard & not Albert or Bert as she called him. Very strange.
Ann

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 02 August 19 22:26 BST (UK) »
Great work Ladyhawk....I too searched for any matching medal cards and couldn't find any information that matched the details given, but information on soldiers who fought in WW1 can be patchy unfortunately.
I have been searching this afternoon under both names  and can't add any more than I have already found. I don't think The mystery Over the name change will never be explained.
Carol