Author Topic: Family members  (Read 3935 times)

Offline Broderer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Family members
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 01 August 19 09:05 BST (UK) »
I’m rather confused now because one account says that Philip Kennard worked on the railways & another says that he was a chimney sweep. I suppose he could have been doing both jobs.
Ann

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 01 August 19 14:02 BST (UK) »
1915 Trade Directories show Philip Arthur Kennard worked on the Railways, May in Newhaven and December in Hay.

1930 Trade Directories and again in 1939 show his occupation as Chimney Sweep in Anstye.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 August 19 15:06 BST (UK) »
There is also this:

in the UK, Naval Medal and Award Rolls, 1793-1972

Naval Medal and Award Rolls, 1793-1972

Name:   Philip A Kennard
Medal or Award:   Victory Medal, British War Medal
Service Year:   1914-1920
Service Location:   Europe
Campaign or Service:   World War I
Service Number:   6713/Ts

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Broderer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 August 19 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Carol,
I wonder if this is the same Philip Kennard. I have a record of someone with that name being awarded medals in WW1 but have never been able to prove that it was him.
Regards
Ann

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 01 August 19 15:21 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately there are no other Military records for him  ::)

There is also this:

Name:   Albert William Kennard
Military Year:   1914-1920
Medal Awarded:   British War Medal and Victory Medal
Regiment or Corps:   Duke of Cambridge's Own (Middlesex) Regiment
Regimental Number:   PW/4948
Previous Units:   PW/4948, 26th Middx. Pte.

Again...there were no enlistment papers for him that I could find, over 60% of WW1 records were destroyed in the WW2 Blitz  ::)

Neither can have served abroad as they weren't awarded the 14/15 Star.

Both have middle names listed and whilst there are other Philips and Alberts with the same surname and without middle names, there doesn't seem to be births for the same year and location as these two brothers.

There is, however, an Albert W. Kennard born 1884 in Uckfield, Sussex.

Carol

Offline Broderer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 01 August 19 16:40 BST (UK) »
Hello again Carol
There was always some mystery in the family about this. I was led to believe that Albert William died as a baby & my grandad was called Albert after him but was given Edward as a middle name. However, I have an army issue prayer book with the name Albert W Kennard in the front inside cover. Grandad was always very vague about it when I mentioned his family to him. I’ll probably never know the true story on that one.
Ann

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 01 August 19 16:50 BST (UK) »
Hello again Carol
There was always some mystery in the family about this. I was led to believe that Albert William died as a baby & my grandad was called Albert after him but was given Edward as a middle name. However, I have an army issue prayer book with the name Albert W Kennard in the front inside cover. Grandad was always very vague about it when I mentioned his family to him. I’ll probably never know the true story on that one.
Ann

How odd.

It looks tolerably clear that Albert William Kennard didn't die as a baby.

Birth reg Dec qtr 1886 Cuckfield: Albert William Kennard mmn Matthews
Aged 4 in 1891 - with parents.
Aged 14 in 1901 - with parents.

Then the 1911 index shows an Albert "Eward" Kennard a couple of years younger - is that him in disguise?

Do you have his marriage and death details?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 01 August 19 16:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann...maybe he is getting mixed up with Henry Howard who was born and died in 1888. I would take that as proof that he did in fact enlist.

Carol

Offline Broderer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 01 August 19 17:12 BST (UK) »
Hello again
Grandad served in WW1 with the Queens Regiment based in Guildford, Surrey & saw service in Afghanistan. He was in the Khyber pass & I know this is correct because I have photos of him there.
He married Amy Ethel Constable about 1915 & died about 1980. Sorry, I haven’t got the exact dates to hand.
I’ve just looked out his medals & he hasn’t got the 2 you mentioned for Albert William.
This is all very weird.
He talked about Hilda & Gretch, his sisters but whether Gretch was a nickname for Maud or Eva, I haven’t a clue. He never talked about his brothers.
Ann