Author Topic: Talbot Inn Rugeley Staffordshire  (Read 4850 times)

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Talbot Inn Rugeley Staffordshire
« Reply #18 on: Friday 02 August 19 01:34 BST (UK) »
Wow! Thank you so much, Tim had heard of the Rugeley poisoner but had no idea his family were on the scene.

Fantastic thank you!
Deb

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 02 August 19 01:38 BST (UK) »
So reading through the article was Mr Cook poisoned at the Talbot Inn?  It mentions both the Arms and the Inn.  Iím assuming it was the Arms?

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 02 August 19 01:41 BST (UK) »
Oh .. ok I think I see now the evidence being given is from the girl from the Inn talking about the girl from the Arms that was sick.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 02 August 19 01:56 BST (UK) »
I just read a different article on the same thing, and it says that Lavinia was a co-worker of Elizabeth, at the Talbot Arms, so the reporters themselves are mixing up the two establishment names.  It would make more sense though, from a witness point of view, that they worked at the same place. 

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 02 August 19 02:33 BST (UK) »
I just read a different article on the same thing, and it says that Lavinia was a co-worker of Elizabeth, at the Talbot Arms, so the reporters themselves are mixing up the two establishment names.  It would make more sense though, from a witness point of view, that they worked at the same place.

Yes that would make sense but at least solves the mystery of the Talbot Inn  :D

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 02 August 19 02:52 BST (UK) »
Deb, being in Australia you can access British Library Newspapers online through the National Library. You'll need a library card (free).
https://www.nla.gov.au/getalibrarycard/

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 02 August 19 02:57 BST (UK) »
Deb, being in Australia you can access British Library Newspapers online through the National Library. You'll need a library card (free).

I highly recommend doing that!
Also.... John Williss of Talbot Inn was one of the jurors that found William Palmer guilty!

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 02 August 19 03:03 BST (UK) »

I highly recommend doing that!
Also.... John Williss of Talbot Inn was one of the jurors that found William Palmer guilty!

Oh Blimey! Bet he was cranky at him for ruining his business!  I will look into the library card.

I tried to upload a photo of Frederick Mills and his Williss cousins in Henry Williss back yard but it was too big will see if my husband can make it smaller for me as I only have iPad.

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 02 August 19 03:29 BST (UK) »
One more question ... I have John (juniors) wife Eliza in 1891 as Beer retailer an grocer at the Moseley Inn ... is that more likely to be the tavern or the Inn of today  ;D

https://www.vintageinn.co.uk/restaurants/midlands/thewolseleyarmswolseleybridge/gallery