Author Topic: Talbot Inn Rugeley Staffordshire  (Read 5077 times)

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Talbot Inn Rugeley Staffordshire
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 03 August 19 01:54 BST (UK) »
The publican of the Talbot Inn complained bitterly that it had ruined his trade and eventually the inn closed down. Later, before its demolition, the building was taken over by the army and used as a store for the equipment used in the army training exercises that took place on Cannock Chase during the latter part of the Nineteenth Century.

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 03 August 19 01:56 BST (UK) »
There is a full account of the inquest of Walter and Ann Palmer here including quite a bit of what John Williss had to say about the effects on his business. Even gives a description of him

http://staffscc.net/wppalmer/?page_id=121

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 03 August 19 02:21 BST (UK) »
Excellent!  The Anson Rd is odd, as two censuses and the newspapers all said Armitage, but that's just a minor blip!
Well done!

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 03 August 19 03:16 BST (UK) »
Excellent!  The Anson Rd is odd, as two censuses and the newspapers all said Armitage, but that's just a minor blip!
Well done!

I guess that could be wrong as well if it was from a newspaper account but it seems it no longer exists according to that.  There’s a whole section on John Williss and it begins like this.

THE LANDLORD OF THE TALBOT INN AT RUGELEY
Mr. John Williss, the landlord of the Talbot Inn, where the bodies of Mrs. William Palmer and Walter were opened, is a stout, jolly-looking man, who is trying to appear unhappy and who talks of ruin, because commercial travellers have of late taken a dislike to his house. We found him sitting in his bar, with a fat child between his knees, and sighing and drinking ale by turns, whilst his wife – a pretty little woman, with a baby in her arms, was endeavouring to reason him out of his despondency.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 03 August 19 08:53 BST (UK) »
That was very interesting to read :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 03 August 19 09:06 BST (UK) »
Wow,  I didn't know there had been a Talbot Inn on Anson Street.

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 03 August 19 18:24 BST (UK) »
The Anson Rd is odd, as two censuses and the newspapers all said Armitage, but that's just a minor blip!

The "minor blip" is my memory!  I was mixing up the address for Mossley/Moseley Inn with the Talbot!

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 04 August 19 06:07 BST (UK) »
Great description of the Williss family! Almost better than a photograph.  :)

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 04 August 19 07:56 BST (UK) »
The Anson Rd is odd, as two censuses and the newspapers all said Armitage, but that's just a minor blip!

The "minor blip" is my memory!  I was mixing up the address for Mossley/Moseley Inn with the Talbot!

Oh ok so it could have been where the newspaper article said it was?  Not knowing the area I’ve no idea  :D