Author Topic: Talbot Inn Rugeley Staffordshire  (Read 5328 times)

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Talbot Inn Rugeley Staffordshire
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 04 August 19 07:57 BST (UK) »
Great description of the Williss family! Almost better than a photograph.  :)

I know! How lucky is my brother in law ... not so lucky for John Williss but great for family history.

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • Celia Grace Phillips 1895-1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 04 August 19 09:03 BST (UK) »
This is such an interesting thread!
The road junction at the bottom of Anson Street is where it meets with Wolseley Road, Station Road and Market Street where the Shrew is. St.Augustines is just into Station Road and over the road from the church is Church Croft where Palmers childhood home was, although it's no longer there. From that you can see it's all in a confined area.

Apparently the Mossley Tavern was built around 1850(I googled) it doesn't say if it was previously Mossley Inn.

The Trent Mersey Canal runs behind the pub and also the church. I'm trying to 'sell' Rugeley here, it's a lovely place   ;D

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 04 August 19 09:36 BST (UK) »
This is such an interesting thread!
The road junction at the bottom of Anson Street is where it meets with Wolseley Road, Station Road and Market Street where the Shrew is. St.Augustines is just into Station Road and over the road from the church is Church Croft where Palmers childhood home was, although it's no longer there. From that you can see it's all in a confined area.

Apparently the Mossley Tavern was built around 1850(I googled) it doesn't say if it was previously Mossley Inn.

I will be sure to ask Tim when he goes back to see his parents next year to go have a cider perhaps at the Shrew and send me the photos.  I hope I can get back again one day too and will have to go see it for myself.  I love the picture it painted of Johnís wife Eliza .. little but strong and positive by the  sounds.  Iíve been trying to work her out as she appears on the 1851 census living with the Willis family as a cousin and barmaid but so far Iíve not seen how sheís related. 

St Augustine will also have to be seen as so many baptisms seem to be there ... Tim loves old churches too.

Blessings
Deb

The Trent Mersey Canal runs behind the pub and also the church. I'm trying to 'sell' Rugeley here, it's a lovely place   ;D

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown c1930s Wilf & Annie Cox Chase Terrace?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 04 August 19 10:10 BST (UK) »
What a fascinating and, in parts, amusing story. Thank you for the insight into your family's history.

Judy
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 05 August 19 03:44 BST (UK) »
What a fascinating and, in parts, amusing story. Thank you for the insight into your family's history.

Judy

Iíve certainly appreciated the help to sort out the mystery of the Talbot Inn  ;D

Offline winnie01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 11 November 19 06:59 GMT (UK) »
I have found this most interesting threat. In 1826 my 6x Great grandad died having been the licencee for the Talbot Inn. His name was John Wallis  and wife Mary Wallis. From the census I think Mary was still here in 1841 with their grandson Henry Wallis (baptised name was German Henry). In John's Will he left all estates and property to Mary and  his children. This is as far as I am only to go back at the moment. John was born about 1776 in Derby. From here all my grandad have own beer houses and pubs up to 1940's. Would be interesting to know if the  Williss family  in this thread is a name change, or where theye came from.
Wallis - Derbyshire and Staffordshire
Warren - Derbyshire

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 11 November 19 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Could possibly different Talbot Inn is there one in Derbyshire? This one was in Staffordshire.

Blessings
Deb

Offline winnie01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 11 November 19 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deb, it is definitely the one in Rugeley.
Wallis - Derbyshire and Staffordshire
Warren - Derbyshire

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 11 November 19 15:08 GMT (UK) »
I must admit I donít know much about the earlier generations mostly focused on John Williss (1826-1879) and his wife Eliza and off memory he was the son of John and Elizabeth Williss nťe Bamford. Would be interested to know more.  Is your tree on ancestry?

Blessings
Deb