Author Topic: Talbot Inn Rugeley Staffordshire  (Read 6181 times)

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Talbot Inn Rugeley Staffordshire
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 01 August 19 16:45 BST (UK) »
My brother in law’s great grandmother was Ella Williss her father was Henry - John Juniors son.

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 01 August 19 16:48 BST (UK) »
I think so too.
Happy hunting!

Thanks for that I will tell him he needs to go have a cider there on his next trip back to the UK his parents live in Newent Gloucestershire but he migrated to Australia but goes back regularly.

Blessings
Deb

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 August 19 17:09 BST (UK) »
Plus I check the address of the Talbot still there and this is the address - so Brereton one could be more than likely.
Talbot Inn
187 Main Road
Brereton
WS15 1EE

Not any longer see Street View https://goo.gl/maps/cCBUB9LM4yDbUsjh7

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 August 19 18:05 BST (UK) »
Deb, I've had a cider in there, many moons ago.

Cheers!

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 02 August 19 00:47 BST (UK) »
From the many articles in old newspapers, it appears that one of the one of the victims, Mr Cook, died at the Talbot Arms Hotel, not the Talbot Inn where the Williss family were. Whether or not he was poisoned there, I can't tell.  It seems he poisoned many people in various public houses.
However, the murders did destroy the Williss' business.  In 1855, two bodies were exhumed for an inquest, and as the Talbot Inn was close to the church graveyard where they were buried, so the coroner had the bodies sent there, thinking that there were a great many outbuildings they could use.  However, the bodies were sent into the Inn itself.

John Williss ran an ad in the Staffordshire Sentinel and Commercial & General Advertiser in Jan and Feb (maybe longer) stating :

John Williss, Landlord of the Talbot Inn, Rugeley, in this County respectfully informs his friends and the public in general, that, since the performance of the surgical operatio s chich recently took place there, such thorough and effectual painting, papering, cleansing, ventilation, and other means of purification have been adopted, and no offensive trace thereof can possibly remain  etc etc. The rest of the article is naming inspectors that expressed satisfaction.  The letter was dated Rugeley, 10th January, 1856.

Digging in much newer papers, in 1995  a newspaper (Lichfield Mercury)  ran a historical look at "Old Rugeley" in parts over a few weeks, taken from a publication written back in the time, and it appears that the Talbot Arms Hotel became the Shrewsbury Arms, and is now (in 1995)  the Shrew Kafe Bar.  They also state the Talbot Inn business failed because people wouldn't go back.  The description might help you place it:

Soon after you leave the railway station and have crossed the bridge by the flour mill, and left Mrs Palmer's house and the two churches in the background, you come to the Talbot Inn, now a noted building and almost ruined from the circumstances of the bodies of Mrs William and Walter Palmer having been opened there.  The poor landlord is dreadfully distressed at having lost his business and passes the day with his hands in his pockets, roaming about the large stable yard at the back of the house, or to relating to the one or two friends, who still drink their ale with him, the history of his misfortunes.

There are ads in 1856 where John Williss is selling off livestock and farming implements, and then in Staffordshire Advertiser 14 March 1857 there is an ad for an auction for the sale of ale barrels, brewing and dairy utensils, household furniture and other effects belonging to Mr John Williss, "who is leaving".

Hope that helps!

PS  During the inquest, one of the barmaids at the Talbot Inn was questioned as she claimed to have seen William Palmer bring a drink of some sort to a different victim (Mrs. Mills?) at the Talbot Inn, but as the inquest was on Ann and Walter Palmer, it didn't appear to be followed up on (at least at this inquest).
I highly recommend you go to a library with free access to the old newspapers, as there a lot on the Williss family besides the murder bit, such as wedding notices etc.

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 02 August 19 00:57 BST (UK) »
Goodness! Thank you so much for all that information my brother in law Tim will be very excited by your find.  I did wonder about the chamber maid mentioned on the inquest with her last name Mills.  Ella Williss married a Frederick Mills who is Tim’s Great Grandfather.

We are all in Australia so getting to the library will be a bit difficult but perhaps when he’s over next to visit his parents he might be able to do that.

Again thank you!
Blessings
Deb

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 02 August 19 00:59 BST (UK) »
Deb, I've had a cider in there, many moons ago.

Cheers!
;D cider is my brother in law’s favourite

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 02 August 19 01:09 BST (UK) »
I did wonder about the chamber maid mentioned on the inquest with her last name Mills.  Ella Williss married a Frederick Mills who is Tim’s Great Grandfather.

I will double-check the Mills name.... I read too many articles with too many names, and I was relying on my (unreliable) memory for the Mills name.  Will let you know when I find it!

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 02 August 19 01:27 BST (UK) »
Okay, found it!

Cheltenham Chronicle 20 May 1856
Lavinia Burnes, waitress at the Talbot Inn, Rugeley, gave evidence of the illness of Elizabeth Mills after partaking of the broth sent by Palmer for Cook,  etc etc. She was crossed-examined but nothing material was elicited.

I am attaching a small snippet from an extremely long article with more on Elizabeth Mills. It is a bit confusing with all the "he said, she said," but shows the two names of Talbot Arms and Talbot Inn.

It seems that William Palmer had brought some broth for his victim Cook, and Elizabeth, the waitress at the Talbot Arms Hotel must have taken a bit for herself before serving it, and became ill.