Author Topic: Talbot Inn Rugeley Staffordshire  (Read 6121 times)

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Talbot Inn Rugeley Staffordshire
« Reply #27 on: Friday 02 August 19 03:31 BST (UK) »
Census

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 02 August 19 05:26 BST (UK) »
Although it looks like Mosely, it is the Mossley Inn.  The address would work out to be 109 Armitage, and if you look further down that census page, you will see the addresses change from Armitage to Mossley.
In the 1901 census, the inn was owned/run by George Clements, Inn Keeper and Pub, 109 Armitage Rd, Mossley Inn (written much more clearly).

As a side note, the son-in-law Frank Critchley is listed in an 1895 article entitled "Receiving Orders".  I don't know if that means his business went into receivership, or what. At that time, he was "trading" as Critchley & Willis. The article lists some of his prior addresses (and mentions a Henry Willis), but nothing about the Inn, or Armitage.  If Frank is important to your tree, I can expand on the addresses given.

This doesn't answer your question as to what the definition of "inn" was back then, but it looks like at least part of it was a pub!

Google is showing a Mossley Tavern at 95 Armitage.... not sure if the road was renumbered or not, so it could be the Mossley Inn vanished, and a new pub appeared.

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 02 August 19 08:20 BST (UK) »
I can’t seem to find anything on the history of the Moseley Tavern so it’s hard to tell if it’s the same as the Inn from 1891.  I haven’t looked too much at Critchley side yet I had started with John Willis senior trying to work him out I did note that Elizabeth Williss née Bamford has several family members staying with her on 1851 census one if them a William Williss brother in law from Abbots Morton, Worcestershire, England so I’m thinking now the Williss family may have originated elsewhere?  I have enjoyed looking at someone else’s tree after looking at my own for 4 years it’s fun to discover something new.  Really appreciated the help and the information connecting the dots.

Henry Williss was a grocer he also lost his son James Henry Williss to WW1.

I also need to see if the Elizabeth Mills mentioned is in anyway related.

Thank you again for your help
Blessings
Deb

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 02 August 19 08:35 BST (UK) »
This thread has become very interesting overnight! If you Google St. Augustines Church Rugeley it tells you that two of Palmers victims are buried there. It's a beautiful church and my children were baptised there. It's a short walk to the Shrew, back in the day we occasionally went there, it was joked at the time that Palmer had killed in the ladies toilets. I don't have any idea if there was any truth in  that but we found the upstairs toilets a bit creepy and never went alone  ;D.  I believe Palmer lived over the road.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 02 August 19 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Deb,
Quote from you;
Elizabeth Williss née Bamford has several family members staying with her on 1851 census one if them a William Williss brother in law from Abbots Morton, Worcestershire.

I gave you Johns likely Baptism in my earlier posting as I had already worked out the Abbots Norton connection.

Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 02 August 19 10:28 BST (UK) »
1841 Census
Halesowen, Shropshire
William UNDERHILL, 35, Farmer
Denna Underhill, 35******
Mary Underhill, 11
Amelia Underhill,9
Anne Underhill, 6
Mary WILLIS, 65****
All NOT born in County except for Ann age 6

1851 Census is DIana Underhill is born c 1806, Abbots Morton, Worcestershire

I cant find a Marriage but by pob that is Dinah Willis bapt 1806 (earlier info) and her Mother Mary who was buried 1846.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 02 August 19 16:45 BST (UK) »
I’m sure my brother in law will be checking out the area on his next trip back to the UK which will be next year and hopefully enjoy a cider somewhere in Rugeley  ;D

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 02 August 19 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Deb,
Quote from you;
Elizabeth Williss née Bamford has several family members staying with her on 1851 census one if them a William Williss brother in law from Abbots Morton, Worcestershire.

I gave you Johns likely Baptism in my earlier posting as I had already worked out the Abbots Norton connection.

Trish :)

Thanks Trish I did go back and re read through what you had found and added them to the tree this afternoon  ;)

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 03 August 19 01:39 BST (UK) »
I found this today which seals the deal