Author Topic: Busby family in Oxfordshire - 1733-1831 connections  (Read 1639 times)

Offline emjsw

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Busby family in Oxfordshire - 1733-1831 connections
« on: Thursday 01 August 19 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I was wondering whether someone with more experience than I might be able to give me some tips on further places to look as I have exhausted the parish registers and the census records are sadly not relevant.

I was hoping to connect fathers and sons and husbands and wives through the registers as they some times say xx of xx parish but sadly none of these did.

I know from reading the social histories of Steeple Aston, Steeple Barton and North Aston, that most people were tenants and day labourers so most did not own property that can be traced but may be there are rent records or some other form of village/court/manor records that I am not aware of.

Having read the transcribed Busby wills on the Oxford Family History Society's website it seems those of Tuns Tew, Enstone, Over Norton and Banbury were often wealthy and had land in Oxfordshire, Northamptonshire and Gloucestershire. My branch must have been related to them way back but I think the ones I am looking for were quite poor. Perhaps there are apprenticeships in Oxon or Northants that will help. Again I can't find them.

I have access to Ancestry, FindMyPast and The Geneologist.

Thank you very much for reading through this. Below are the people in question if that helps, direct Busby ancestors are in bold. The difficulty is that there are so many James, John and William Busbys in the county.

If anyone can make any suggestions to solve these huge headaches I would be really grateful.

Best wishes,
Emma

Verified:
James Busby 1820 North Aston - 1896 Deddington
Married Esther Eleanor Grubb 1827 Welton Northants - 1894 Deddington in Welton Northants
Had the following children in North Aston:
Harriet 1851, Seton 1854, Dora 1855, Eliza 1859, Katherine 1862, Esther 1863, Ralph 1867 and Gertrude 1869.

Possibilities:
James's Father
William Busby based on proximity compared to all other William Busbys born in the UK around 1795/6 (DOB cleaned from his burial where it says he is 36), B. 1796 Steeple Aston Bu. 1831 North Aston. Marries Phoebe Hawkes b 1797 Helmdon Northants, b as Phoebe Lewis 1855 North Aston. Married 1817 Helmdon Northants.
Had the following children in North Aston:
James (above) 1820, Mary 1824, Eliza 1827, John 1829.

If correct why did father and son take Northamptonshire brides and why were they 'of this parish' when they married, were there family land ties or perhaps a traditional apprentiship there? Maybe Phoebe sent James off to her parents there when William died?

William's possible father:
Based on proximity - James Busby 1764 Steeple Barton Bu North Aston 1817. Possible wife Anne Tims/Timms b 1770 Sandford St Martin (Sandford St Martin -in the wills some Busbys from Sandford were buried at Great Tew or Chipping Norton). If this is correct they got married at Adderbury (but why were they there? was it for trade?) in 1793.
Possible children:
James 1794 Adderbury, the rest Steeple Aston. William 1796, John 1798, they vanish for 9yrs (maybe a new James and Ann came in?) Samuel 1807, Charles 1808, Phoebe 1812.

James' possible father:
James b c 1733 and Ann b c 1733 - however I can't find anyone close by. Could be James from Ascott under Wychwood. In the Wills some of the Busbys in near by Enstone leave money to the Ascott Busby family.

Confusing! I can't prove William's father James or James' father!

Sweetland (Chard/Yarcoombe/Honiton)
Garret/Stacey (Somerset)
Boultern/Boulton (Reading)
Crowther (Wolverhampton/Wednesbury/Birmingham)
Myres (Wolverhampton)
Palmer (Nottingham)
Cosby (Leighton Buzzard/Woodstock/Kidlington)
Hope (Oxford/Kidlington/Woodstock)
Williams (Yorkshire/Conisborough)
Draper (Bow Brickhill)
Draper Smith (Bow Brickhill/Woburn Sands)
Smith (Woburn Sands)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Busby family in Oxfordshire - 1733-1831 connections
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 August 19 18:02 BST (UK) »
I have exhausted the parish registers and the census records are sadly not relevant.

I was hoping to connect fathers and sons and husbands and wives through the registers as they some times say xx of xx parish but sadly none of these did.

Have you tried Heritage Search? You can sometimes pick up relationships and locations from the archive catalogue. You could then order copies of anything of interest.

https://apps2.oxfordshire.gov.uk/srvheritage/advancedSearch

Offline emjsw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 August 19 22:38 BST (UK) »
I have exhausted the parish registers and the census records are sadly not relevant.

Have you tried Heritage Search? You can sometimes pick up relationships and locations from the archive catalogue. You could then order copies of anything of interest.

https://apps2.oxfordshire.gov.uk/srvheritage/advancedSearch

Hi,
Thanks ever so much for the link, I had not heard of this and will give it a try.
Much appreciated 😊
Best wishes Em
Garret/Stacey (Somerset)
Myres (Wolverhampton)
Palmer (Nottingham)
Draper (Bow Brickhill)
Smith (Woburn Sands)

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 August 19 20:32 BST (UK) »
Oxfordshire, England, Church of England Births and Baptisms, 1813-1915.

Name - James Busby
Baptism Date -25 Apr 1819
Aston North, Oxfordshire, England
Parish as it Appears - North Aston
Father - William Busby
Mother - Phebe Busby

James Busby
Baptism Date - 25 Apr 1817
Baptism Place - North Aston,Oxford,England
Father - Wm. Busby
Mother - Ann

Dates and year of baptisms are not dates of birth. ;)

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline emjsw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 August 19 11:09 BST (UK) »
Oxfordshire, England, Church of England Births and Baptisms, 1813-1915.

Name - James Busby
Baptism Date -25 Apr 1819
Aston North, Oxfordshire, England
Parish as it Appears - North Aston
Father - William Busby
Mother - Phebe Busby

James Busby
Baptism Date - 25 Apr 1817
Baptism Place - North Aston,Oxford,England
Father - Wm. Busby
Mother - Ann

Dates and year of baptisms are not dates of birth. ;)

Hi Steve,

It is tricky isn't it to determine the dob for relatives that died before the census records. In most cases I go by the recorded burial age which is often +/-2yrs of the baptism but I have other ancestors who were baptised or christened in their teens. It can be really frustrating!!!

Thanks for both of these baptisms, I read through the parish register and discounted the William and Ann one in the past as I couldn't find it written down anywhere but may be I just missed it or miss read the hand writing.

I am trying to prove that the William having children with Phoebe in North Aston is the same one who was baptised in Steeple Aston and for his father James, is the James who married Ann and had William in Steeple Aston the same as the one baptised in Steeple Barton??

I was wondering if records existed for the county that might show where a family came from originally such as parish settlement papers for North Aston, Steeple Aston, Steeple Barton, or Court rolls/manorial rolls or rent records etc. Have you ever used these and did you find them useful please?

Best wishes Emma :)
Garret/Stacey (Somerset)
Myres (Wolverhampton)
Palmer (Nottingham)
Draper (Bow Brickhill)
Smith (Woburn Sands)

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 August 19 11:57 BST (UK) »
I rarely use manorial rolls, if at all.

It would be case of chasing down both candidates in Census, or deaths certs or burials for both.

The baptism to William & Ann, is just a transcript. Where the other, is an actual transcript of the original record showning on Anc.

Marriages for both Williams to Ann and Phebe is also a must.  William Busby could have possibly married both, IF Ann had died.   That is something to consider. 
The best I can do is check the OxFHS Marriage Index 1538-1837, for both mariages, if they occured in Oxfordshire. (I'll get back to you on that, when I've looked).

I haven't traced them any further, other than those 2 baptisms for James.

EDIT:.  One marriage that MAY fit, is this one, to Ann....!

William Busby to Ann Colley - @ Banbury. 3rd Aug 1810.  No other info from the Index.
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline emjsw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 August 19 12:59 BST (UK) »
I rarely use manorial rolls, if at all.

It would be case of chasing down both candidates in Census, or deaths certs or burials for both.

The baptism to William & Ann, is just a transcript. Where the other, is an actual transcript of the original record showning on Anc.

Marriages for both Williams to Ann and Phebe is also a must.  William Busby could have possibly married both, IF Ann had died.   That is something to consider. 
The best I can do is check the OxFHS Marriage Index 1538-1837, for both mariages, if they occured in Oxfordshire. (I'll get back to you on that, when I've looked).

I haven't traced them any further, other than those 2 baptisms for James.

EDIT:.  One marriage that MAY fit, is this one, to Ann....!

William Busby to Ann Colley - @ Banbury. 3rd Aug 1810.  No other info from the Index.

Thank you very much for looking and for the advice.

William and phoebe married in Northamptonshire and he died aged 36 in 1831 so is hard to trace. She married a Lewis a few years after Williams death and in gro some of their children are registered with the Maiden name Hawkes which varifies the marriage to William.

James William's son also married Esther Eleanor Grubb in Northamptonshire. Her maiden name is verified on GRO for their children.

I have investigated William and Busby births in  Northamptonshire but eg for William there are 4 baptisms for c1796, 2 turned out to be mistranscriptions and the other 2 Williams can be found in later census records so can't be my William. Same for James.

Unfortunately this is why I have drawn a blank. William died before census began. James his son is confirmed as being born in North Aston.

It is William's place of birth and his father James' that I am stuck with :(.
As William was 36 when he died I would guess it couldn't be the same William that married Ann as he would have been 14? It is really tricky.

Although sold by the time of this generation of Busby, Oxfordshire Busbys held land and a manor at Plumpton Northants so had ties to the County.

I really appreciate the time and effort you have put into helping me.

Best wishes Emma
Garret/Stacey (Somerset)
Myres (Wolverhampton)
Palmer (Nottingham)
Draper (Bow Brickhill)
Smith (Woburn Sands)