Author Topic: John and Edward SLADE, Summary Convictions 1850's  (Read 482 times)

Online BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
John and Edward SLADE, Summary Convictions 1850's
« on: Thursday 01 August 19 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hello,

John SLADE (born 1840) and his brother Edward (1842) were each convicted as co-defendants at Worcester Assizes on 07/03/1855 to transportation for 14 years. At this time they confirmed their home address was 19 Little Charles Street, Birmingham. Incidentally, neither were transported but released on licence in 1861 from Parkhurst Prison.

Edward SLADE's records from his trial indicate he had two previous convictions (1) 2 months in Warwick Gaol under the Juvenile Offenders Act for stealing a fowl and (2) 3 months in Birmingham Gaol for stealing meat. Sadly, no dates of conviction/imprisonment were quoted. John SLADE's records, however, do not confirm he had previous convictions, although it is unlikely he would have been sentenced to transportation without any. I wonder if someone has access to records, possibly those of the Magistrates, that could in fact confirm John SLADE did have earlier convictions, sometime probably in the years 1850-1855.

I would be extremely grateful for any help.

For moment,

BAC3

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John and Edward SLADE, Summary Convictions 1850's
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 August 19 11:20 BST (UK) »
Hello
I've tried to look for the criminal convictions but the only things I have found are 3 records on FindMyPast ,with a nice desription of the boys from Millbank prison after their last conviction.

They are not on the calender of prisoners for Warwickshire 1801-1900 either.
But the papers do give more about their final crime.

Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser 14 March 1855
John and Edward convicted of stealing from Mary Perry at Dudley fair on the 5th pf March.She was a servant girl and they picked her pocket.One did the deed while the other recieved the money.For this they got the 14 years

Sorry

Ciderdrinker

Online BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John and Edward SLADE, Summary Convictions 1850's
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 August 19 11:40 BST (UK) »
Thank You ciderdrinker,

My difficulty in part arises from the PCOM2 Series (Millbank Prison) with FindMyPast which states that Edward SLADE had two previous summary convictions and the following entry for John SLADE has a "ditto" in that particular column.    Unfortunately, the PCOM3 Series showing prisoners released on licence shows only Edward with the previous history but NOT John.

Confused, hence my enquiry!!

BAC3