Author Topic: Photo of ladies outside a church, c.1900  (Read 3066 times)

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Photo of ladies outside a church, c.1900
« Reply #18 on: Monday 05 August 19 03:15 BST (UK) »
The closeup shows structure in the hands and, I believe, fingernails, which discounts my gloves theory. Likewise, structure in the flowerpot hat makes me discount a male style. If there were a clergyman behind the lady on the right, I think that he (accustomed to being in photos) or the photographer would have made sure he moved to be seen.

One thought on the search for the building: The design of the stained glass windows can be made out quite clearly. Whilst I suppose they could have been available "off the peg", my impression is that they were made to order and there are people who collect photos of them. I wonder of there are any such collections online?
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 05 August 19 19:43 BST (UK) »
I agree with Peter this could be a womens Temperance league photo. If you search Google images there are several similar photos of groups of ladies. This photo if from New Zealand, but I thought it was the same church in the background for a minute. It obviously isn'tthough.
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 05 August 19 20:28 BST (UK) »
A white haired lady, middle row second  from the left as we look at the first photograph ,bears a great resemblance to another white haired lady on the second photograph,also middle row and fourth seated  from the left.
Strange. ?
Viktoria.

Offline peterharris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 09 August 19 21:56 BST (UK) »
Standing 10th from the left got to be Daniel Day Lewis time traveling. ::)
Harris, Kemp,

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 09 August 19 22:09 BST (UK) »
First photograph,lady sixth from left standing looks like a young Charles Laughton.
Hobson’s Choice
Mutiny on the Bounty
Henry The Eighth.
The Hunchback of Notre  Dame..

Perhaps it is a film set ;D ;D
Viktoria.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 10 August 19 03:07 BST (UK) »
Does the roof of the church mean anything? What material has been used? Not slate. Could a church be identified in a region in the UK by its roof. I have never really thought about it but most of the churches I have been to I believe have had slate roofs!

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 10 August 19 09:31 BST (UK) »
I think the roof is slate,sometimes the overlap is quite deep so the slates appear smaller than they otherwise would.
A good builder would not economise with the number used ,my sister’s house 1910. has an overlap  of  two thirds,where other builders might have
 used a  half or so.
Not sure what regulations would be in place if any at the time of building the church.
There are sizes of slates,for different uses.
The slate museum at Llanberis was an interesting visit and the explanation of sizes and their uses, queens etc, standard sizes.
Just looking across the road at  Victorian stone built houses,and there is  a good overlap so the slates do look small,but a month or two back one had a roof repair done and the stacked slates were very big,   certainly  20” (50cm),the greater part underneath the one  overlapping.
As I look across  the part showing seems about the same size as those on the church roof .
What an interesting thread.
Viktoria.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 10 August 19 12:50 BST (UK) »
The wrought iron banjo door hinges, or more probably dummy hinge, could be a local craftsman's signature work.

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 10 August 19 14:41 BST (UK) »
Might be as the doors meet in the middle,so not huge, our church has such hinges which the very wide door  is hung on.
I wonder if it could be a gathering of Mothers  Union,a worldwide Christian
organisation founded in The 1870’s and world wide by the 1880’s.
Ladies from one church would visit others on special days like Diocesan days
etc and the anniversary of the founding of MU,especially on Mary Sumner day ,to remember the founder a  Hampshire parson’s wife.
I am a member and have been for 60 years,when I joined young married women were frowned on if we “ gallivanted”(took your pinny  off and went out without your husband and kids ::) ::) ::).
But the MU did good work in all areas home and abroad and  as well had days out etc ,sometimes to other churches but nice rural areas with lovely afternoon tea etc.
No one could criticise you doing that,I was 23,two young boys and we had no money so no social life and the weekly meeting with an interesting speaker was a godsend.
I must look to see if they are wearing badges but not sure  when they were first worn.
Viktoria.

Modified,no badges,but could be too early for that,I “ll google it.V.