Author Topic: marriage in Chesterfield 1916 help please  (Read 1365 times)

Offline kit54

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: marriage in Chesterfield 1916 help please
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 August 19 20:04 BST (UK) »
I'd just like to thank all of you who have so kindly replied to my post, I really am very grateful to you.
I know that you cannot do a "look up" for marriages performed in a Registry Office, but I was hoping that it would be a marriage performed in a parish church; apologies, I should have stated this.
You have really done a brilliant job in obtaining all this wonderful data, and putting it together - I've been working from the Liverpool end, and am thrilled to have all the data you have given me, particularly that from the Derbyshire area.
Please, Ladyhawk, re:
The 3 Birth entries for the 3 Fergie children ie Harold Dudley 1886, Emma Lydia 1887  and Lillie 1892.
Please can you tell me how you found out that the MMN was Dudley?
(I can only find Lillie's Birth in Lancashire BMD, and this does not appear to give the MMN.)

Thanks very much again,

Kit

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 August 19 21:12 BST (UK) »
I couldn't see any marriage announcement in the newspapers but did find some items re. the family, which may be of interest.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph
22 Jun 1916
Chesterfield Canadian
Private Peter Warner, eldest son of Mr Frank Warner, Chesterfield, has been seriously wounded while serving with the Canadian Infantry, a telegram to his father stating that he is dangerously ill in hospital. Private Warner was shot in the ear, the bullet passing up into the head. Leaving Chesterfield 14 years ago, Mr Warner went to the United States, where he secured a position as head butcher with an important firm in Detroit. Twelve months ago he crossed into Ontario, Canada, and enlisted in the Canadian Infantry at Windsor.

Derbyshire Courier
29 Jul 1916
Bolsover Men Wounded
Private P. Warner
Private Peter Warner (30), eldest son of Mr and Mrs Frank Warner, Chellowdene, Chatsworth Road, Brampton, who was serving with the Canadian Infantry some six weeks ago, has succumbed to his injuries in a London Hospital. A telegram to this effect was received by the parents on Thursday morning. Private Warner received a gunshot wound in the ear, which penetrated into his head. He was educated at St Helen's Street School, and served his apprenticeship with Mr J Middleton, butcher. Migrating to America nearly 14 years ago, he became manager of a large stores at Detroit, and held positions at Chicago and New York. Together with his younger brother he answered the mother country's call for men over twelve months ago and became attached to the Canadian Infantry. He had been in France about seven weeks when he was wounded. It is understood that the remains will be brought to Chesterfield for internment.

Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield Herald
22 Dec 1917
Chesterfield Casualties
Corporal Anthony M Warner, Leicestershire Regiment, son of Mr Frank Warner, "Chellowdene," Brookside, Chesterfield, has written home stating that he has been wounded in the chest and leg, and has undergone an operation in the base hospital in France. "It was a narrow shave.", he writes. "Only half an inch from the heart, but I guess my luck was in. I don't know if I shall be lucky enough to get to 'Blighty.' I hope so; it would be a change, for, between you and me, it was hell where we were. Enough said!" Corporal Warner is married and his wife is at present living with her mother at the Buck Inn, Chesterfield. Before enlisting a year and a half ago he was engaged with his father in the fish-curing business, but he had previously spent five years in America. Mr Warner has another son serving with the Canadian Flying Corps. and another, Pte. Peter Warner, died of wounds in July 1916.

31 May 1924
Later Mr Frank Warner
Chesterfield Tradesman Passes Away
The death of Mr Frank Warner, "Chellowdene," Brookside, removes another well-known Chesterfield personality. Mr WArner, who was 62 years of age, passed away on Monday in Sheffield Nursing Home following an operation. For almost forty years he had been in the business as a wholesale fish merchant in Station Road. He leaves a widow, two sons and three daughters, his eldest son having been killed in the war.

The Funeral
The funeral took places on Thursday, the first part of the service being held at St Thomas' Church, Brampton, where the Rev. F H Burnside officiated. The cortege afterwards left for Holymoorside, the internment being in the family vault in the little Churchyard, the Rev F H Burnside also carrying out the last rites. The family mourners were Mrs Warner (widow), Mr and Mrs A Warner (son and daughter-in-law), Mr and Mrs F Rignall (son-in-law and daughter), Mr Peter Warner (brother), Mr Arthur Warner, Leicester (brother), Mr Clement Warner (brother), Mrs F Garland?, Sheffield (sister), Mrs F Walker (sister), Mr A May (nephew), and Mrs Phillips, Stockton-on-Tees.

[Plus a number of other mourners and long list of wreaths and floral tributes. Article of also has photo of Frank.]

16 Jan 1942
Death of Mrs F M Warner, Chesterfield
The death occurred on Saturday of Mrs Frances Mary Warner (78), of 690, Brookside, Chesterfield.

Mrs Warner was the widow of Mr Frank Warner who died in 1924 and sister-in-law of Mr Peter Warner, fish merchant, Chesterfield. She was born at Stanedge, her father, Mr May, being a well known farmer. She leaves three daughters and a son. A daughter, Mrs S E Bennett, is in Australia and a son, Mr Bernard Warner in Detroit. Mrs Warner's eldest son, Mr Peter Warner, died after being wounded in the last war.

The funeral took place at Holymoorside on Tues, being attended by members of the family. The arrangements were carried out by B Hattersley, 211, Chatsworth Road, Chesterfield. Tel 2820.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 03 August 19 21:16 BST (UK) »
Please can you tell me how you found out that the MMN was Dudley?
(I can only find Lillie's Birth in Lancashire BMD, and this does not appear to give the MMN.)

The MMN is available in the GRO's own births index, which were compiled from transcripts of original registers, rather than the original index. It's free to use but you need to open an account.

GRO Ordering Service - Most Customers Want To Know
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/most_customers_want_to_know.asp#OnlineIndex
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 August 19 07:11 BST (UK) »
I know that you cannot do a "look up" for marriages performed in a Registry Office, but I was hoping that it would be a marriage performed in a parish church; apologies, I should have stated this.

No apology required! ;D
It's a terminology issue.
A Marriage Certificate is issued for any marriage conducted under Civil Registration.
What you wanted was the Parish Register entry for the marriage - and that's not a certificate :D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline kit54

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 04 August 19 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thank you once again for all your replies - I am delighted to have all of that, and am gratified for all that everyone has done for me. You all have really bent over backwards to help me and I have also learnt something along the way, which I'm sure will be useful in the future.
Can't thank you enough, you have been brilliant!
Kit