Author Topic: Myheritage and Family Tree Builder problems  (Read 7018 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Myheritage and Family Tree Builder problems
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 22 August 19 10:33 BST (UK) »
Gadget, thanks and congratulations.  As a former software tester, the way MyH handled my file is shameful.  They should report the errors that caused processing to stop.  I will try and save my GEDCOM without sources and notes, and reduce the number of records and try again, but it will be after the weekend.

It will be interesting to see MyH's response.

Martin

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 22 August 19 10:49 BST (UK) »
I think pre-testing seems to have gone out of the door these days, Martin. In my day (I was a project/database manager for large research and admin databases for about 7 years in the late 1970s-1980s), we used to test all new systems (or even small program amendments) to breaking point. All computing staff were supposed to have BCS membership - which was rigorous in those days.

I'll be happy  to run your modified gedcom, if you wish.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 22 August 19 11:05 BST (UK) »
Gadget, as a software tester, I was once accused of having the ideal that a product should never be released!

The whole idea of releasing wobbly software to 'specially selected beta testers' is still horrendous.

Martin

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 30 August 19 16:49 BST (UK) »
After a lot of experimentation and correspondence with MyH, I am now sure that my GEDCOM failed as it was over 250 people.  I think it is atrocious that the website gives no reason for the failure, and doesn't acknowledge my upload by email.  The help I had from MyH was not of the standard I would expect.

I will add that as part of my experimentation I installed Family Tree Builder, and I am very impressed with that SO FAR.  It even has a 468-page manual.  It imported three GEDCOMs with no problem, one containing 249 people, and the 250 people limit does not apply to the PC software, only if you synchronise with the web site.  If you do that, it does tell you that you have passed the 250 limit.  I have no plans to migrate from GRAMPS.

Thanks Gadget for your help.

Martin

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 30 August 19 17:58 BST (UK) »
I don't think it could be just the size, Martin, as I tried your file with just 15 people and it didn't work until I excluded  the various bits of info in notes and sources.

As i said earlier ~

success!

I excluded notes and sources in addition to selecting the wrap around hyphen format and it worked.

But, as Falkyrn has said, you also need to reduce the size to 250 cases in a free package. I think yours is 1001, as in dalmations!! 1011

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline David Dysart

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 02 May 21 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hi all, My problem is that the version of Family Tree builder I was using saved my family trees as .ZED files, i.e. their proprietary compressed GEDCOM file and neither FTB or Myheritage will now read my family trees. Any ideas?
Thanks,
David

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 03 May 21 10:47 BST (UK) »
Create a copy of your file, and rename it as a .ZIP file.
Then open the file as per any zipped file.
Extract the Gedcom file and import into whatever software you are using.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline David Dysart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 03 May 21 11:22 BST (UK) »
Oh my, now I feel dumb. That was easy. Unzipped and imported. Many, many thanks.
DD