Author Topic: Daniel Gallagher/Gallacher and Fanny Kearns/Cairns Duntocher  (Read 3300 times)

Offline songbird02

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Daniel Gallagher/Gallacher and Fanny Kearns/Cairns Duntocher
« on: Monday 05 August 19 02:27 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for information on Daniel Gallagher, brother of my great granny, who moved from Dunfanaghy in Donegal.  I have just found the death certificates for Daniel and his wife Fanny. They both died in Duntocher.

Daniel's parents were Daniel Gallagher and Brigid (Biddy) McFadden and Fanny's parents are listed as Charles Kearns and Ann Martin.  I have no further information on the family in Scotland.  Are these names familiar to anyone?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Deirdre

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Gallagher/Gallacher and Fanny Kearns/Cairns Duntocher
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 August 19 21:25 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

Can we have some dates please?  When did Daniel & Fanny die and how old were they at that time?

Who reported their deaths?

Did they marry in Scotland or Ireland - what year?

If within the relevant timescale - Have you found them on any census
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline songbird02

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 August 19 01:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.  I'm sorry I didn't include further details.  Daniel died 20 May 1949 aged 75.  Fanny died 20 May 1937 aged 57.  Daniel reported Fanny's death and S. Kelman, son-in-law reported Daniel's death.  Both were registered in Dalmuir. 

I already had Daniel's birth details.  He was born in 1873 in Dunfanaghy, Donegal.  I have only just found that Fanny was Baptised in Hamilton, St Mary's on 2 March 1873. 

After posting last night I decided to check the Irish records.  Daniel and Fanny were married 21 July 1918 in Drumquin, Co. Tyrone.  They were both 45 when they married and neither had been previously married. There is an error on the register as Daniel's father is listed as Donald.  I can't make out where Daniel was living, in Scotland, at the time of the marriage. 

I have found birth records for 5 of Fanny's siblings in Tyrone too. The 1911 census asked how many children a couple had and how many were still living, so I know Fanny had 7 siblings.

Mary 1870
Charles 1879
Sarah Ann 1882 - died 1893
Catherine  1885
James 1889

Sorry for the long post, I wanted to give as much information as possible. 

Thanks again.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 August 19 01:30 BST (UK) »
That’s great info

The marriage cert just says “full age” so Fanny was only 38 at that time - going from her age at death.  However - if her baptism was 1873 then her age at death was wrong

Are either of them on the 1911 Irish or Scottish census?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 August 19 11:37 BST (UK) »
.... There is an error on the register as Daniel's father is listed as Donald.  I can't make out where Daniel was living, in Scotland, at the time of the marriage. 

The names Daniel and Donald are variants of each other, see www.whatsinaname.net/php/search.php?action=search2&search_name=daniel

Place name re Daniel looks like Dinomora  ???

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 August 19 11:56 BST (UK) »
You mentioned a baptism for Fanny in Scotland. So, she was born in Scotland? This looks like her birth entry here in 1873 in Blantyre www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FQ4B-ZD9

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 August 19 12:07 BST (UK) »
Wondering about the S Kelman, son in law, who reported Daniel's death. Did Fanny and Daniel have children in the marriage or before they married?

Monica

Offline songbird02

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 August 19 00:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  I didn't know Donald was a variant of Daniel.  Yes I thought it was Dinomora too, but can't find anywhere with a similar spelling. 

I can't find Daniel or Fanny on either the Scottish or Irish Census.  I'm assuming they did have children prior to marriage and maybe that is why they came back to Ireland to be married.

I have taken 1 month subscriptions to Ancestry and Findmypast and bought credits for Scotland's People.  I can't find any further information on the family. 

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  I'm attaching Fanny's Baptism details.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 August 19 18:55 BST (UK) »
There is an error on the register as Daniel's father is listed as Donald.
Donald and Daniel are often used interchangeably in Scotland, though they are of completely different origins rather than variants of one another.

I can't make out where Daniel was living, in Scotland, at the time of the marriage. 
Looks like Dinomona but I have no idea where it was/is.

I have taken 1 month subscriptions to Ancestry and Findmypast and bought credits for Scotland's People.  I can't find any further information on the family. 
See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.